Suggestions on carry bag or sleeve

For anyone interested in a unique and sustainable option I can highly recommend Rareform’s 13 inch laptop sleeve.

They’re made of reused billboard vinyl so each one is unique. I just got mine today and can report that despite them being designed for the 13 inch Macbook Pro they fit the Framework nicely.

8 Likes

I bought a Timbuk2 Stealth Folio organizer in L
It fits nicely in the laptop sleeve. It’s got two zipped mesh pockets that will fit many modules, I use the other for a thin 65W charger. The pen loops will hold the screw driver somewhat, but I put it in a larger zipped pocket on the bottom.

This is not a sleeve though - it can get a bit thick. I can uncomfortably fit my tablet (chromebook duet) in the second pocket because it’s a thick tablet, but I also have two external ssd’s.

I got a cheap small folio sleeve Amazon.com
(13-13.5 INCH model)
And the Canadian link (where I got it https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08D7H592X)

1 Like

@Davy_Bell photos when you get it, please. Which color? The PU (polyurethane) leather grey color looks nice.

@Keith_J_Brett Here you go. I use the kick stand part a lot, rigid enough for lap but the whole thing is just the fake leather (No structure board except for the flap) so very thin.
Side by side:

Inside with magnet flap closed:

Footprint of laptop to sleeve:

Laptop inside with flap open (Its a suede-style material inside)

-Davy

3 Likes

@Davy_Bell thanks so much for sharing the pictures. I appreciate your courtesy and time.

2 Likes

@Shaun_Kingston Thanks for the suggestion, seems like it would fit nicely with my Feuerwear Gordon bag. They’re another company founded on similar principles (recycling fire hose in this case).

The bag exterior itself is pretty thick and resilient, but the laptop pocket is just thin fabric so I was looking for a sleeve for a little extra padding / liquid barrier.

3 Likes

I know some people have already recommended this Tomtoc bag ( Amazon.com: tomtoc Laptop Shoulder Bag ) so I bought both the “13 inch for New MacBook Air & Pro” and the “13-13.5 inch” to test. The framework laptop fits in both, it just depends if you want a snug fit or a bit loose. There is just the tiniest bit of friction when inserting/removing the laptop from the 13 inch bag, and there is about 1.5 inches (4cm) of space, length wise, using the 13-13.5 inch bag.

I personally kept the 13-13.5 inch bag for my framework laptop.

9 Likes

This leather sleeve from Brydge fits perfectly!

Premium laptop? Get a premium laptop sleeve or bag :slight_smile: I personally have a number of bags from sfbags.com. Make in San Francisco, high quality, great company.

Sleeve:

I have bought a number of these bags, cases and sleeves over the last years, always exceptional quality, still in use. Not cheap, but worth it.

3 Likes

Tomtoc bag on the way. Thank you to this thread. Versatile A42 For 13" MacBook Pro & Air (Recycled Material)|Black

2 Likes

Felt sleeve in a shoulder bag.

2 Likes

That’s nice looking. Even has a loop for the Framework screwdriver :grinning:

I wanted a hard shell case for biking around and traveling so I picked up a Smatree 13.5inch Laptop Sleeve for Microsoft Surface Laptop 4.

Just barely fits vertically and has about an inch horizontally, but held in place by the pocket.

I debated between something that fit snugger and something like this the had a little play but ultimately I decided on this to avoid things in my bag applying pressure to the laptop lid (its pretty thick so there’s a small gap between the laptop and the top shell). The shell has a bit of give but not enough I’m worried about things resting against it. Downside, the pocket is elastic enough I can feel it wobble / slide around a little if I move it, but probably not enough to worry about.

4 Likes

Haha definitely not Pelican hard. I think it could take some jostling but probably wouldn’t hold up to a direct sharp impact on one of the flat faces, there’s definitely flex there. the edges feel sturdy though.

1 Like

Right on! I have several Waterfield bags and I still use all of them! They are quality for sure. I love the Finn wallet they make as well.

I just got a size 12B Cache sleeve from Tom Bihn, and while it’s possible to fit the machine in it, it’s very tight. I’m going to return it.

2 Likes

Well that’s disappointing. Spec-wise it seemed like it would be just right. How did you even get one? I’ve been checking the site regularly and they’re still not even listed as being in production.

Seems like the next size up that could fit would be the 15D, but that’s substantially larger at 346x234mm.

Hmm, may have to find a different solution.

I dunno, I happened to check their site a few days ago, and it was shown as available, so I ordered it. Maybe had been made available by a return. It does seem like very good build quality.

1 Like

After looking through reviews for various products I’ve come to the conclusion in most cases (haha) you want a little extra room than laptop dimensions. The corners tend to be the problem, like with the 12B the bags are often extremely rounded and the laptops are… not.

2 Likes