The edge of the touchpad isn't very responsive

I’m not sure if this is by design, an issue, or just a setting in Ubuntu, but it seems that the outer edges of my touchpad aren’t particularly responsive if they’re used for gestures on their own. For example, using two fingers to scroll a page works perfectly unless both fingers are at the edge of the trackpad.

Has anyone else encountered this behaviour? I’m on Ubuntu 22.04 but I’m honestly fairly inexperienced with Linux (I used Mint a few years ago but that’s the extent of my experience with it). Either way, I’m not a fan of this behaviour and would like to be able to use the full trackpad.

1 Like

I believe this is normal as all touchpads have a dead zone that goes around the entire perimeter for palm rejection.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was afraid that would be the case. Unfortunately the deadzone for this is waaay too big and means I keep getting no response when I scroll.

I hope there’s a way to reduce the size.

You can in software. I’ve never adjusted it myself but I believe the following link has how to interact with how Ubuntu measures the dead zone and how to tweak it to your preference

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad

2 Likes