Too hot to handle and boot problems

That’s really up to you. Have you tried updating the SSD firmware with the WD utility?
I figured worse case I could throw it into a TB4 enclosure and use it externally so I kept mine.

I will try that. Maybe. Today is the last day of the 30 day return period. I requested a return, but have not received a response.

1 Like

We believe we have root caused this to an SN850 firmware issue on some version of the firmware. Updating the SSD firmware has resolved the issue in each case we have come across: My system is rebooting to a “Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed” message

7 Likes

Win 10
driver bundle installed
brand new, couple days old.
If I close the lid, whether plugged in or not, for more than say 20 minutes?
I open the lid to it rebooted, and a message. Pic as soon as I figure out how. :slight_smile:

Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key
Then Select 'Boot Manager to choose a new Boot
[Ok]

2 Likes

2 Likes

Sounds like this and this.

2 Likes

@Chiraag_Nataraj I agree, thanks, I’ll go contribute over there. Appreciate it.

2 Likes

We believe we have root caused this to an SN850 firmware issue on some version of the firmware. Updating the SSD firmware has resolved the issue in each case we have come across: My system is rebooting to a “Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed” message

3 Likes

I installed a new WD Black SN850 2 TB. Installed Windows 10. Installed all updates. Changed settings to display only on external monitor. Changed power setting to Do Nothing after closing the lid while plugged in. Shut lid. Came back 3 hours later and it wouldn’t come to life. Clicked keys, clicked mouse, nothing. Case was too hot to handle. Power switch light was blinking. Held power switch down until light went off. Started machine. Fan kicked in at high speed. Case cooled down and fan went quiet. I’m concerned I may have shortened the life of the unit.

1 Like

I just got the laptop today. I have windows 10 installed. I closed the lid and plugged it in and tossed it on the bed. I came back an hour later and the fan was spinning extremely fast and since the vent was facing the bed covers, it couldn’t breathe.

How do i just make it sleep/hibernate and not try to cool itself down? Or am i missing something. Thanks!

1 Like

Is Windows set to suspend if the lid is closed?

1 Like

This is what I have.

1 Like

I’ve seen this issue with other brands. Maybe some application was preventing sleep?

Try updating the firmware?

2 Likes

:point_up: New firmware is suppossed to address this

2 Likes

Gotcha, I am showing 3.06 bios version. Not sure what version i can upgrade to.

1 Like

On Windows if an audio player is open deep sleep will not be entered, and for some reason the system will just heat up. On Windows if you are suspending and charging make sure you always close any audio players before you suspend.

2 Likes

I’ve mentioned this issue in Unable to wake from sleep as well.

3 Likes

3.06 is current I believe. It must be a windows thing, as I have not had any issues like this with Fedora.

2 Likes

1 Like

Understood.

I am using a Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB (SB-RKTQ-2TB).

Does that change anything?

1 Like