Touchpad tap sensitivity issues - Windows 11

So far I’m enjoying the FW 13, however the touchpad is a bit challenging to get comfortable with. With Windows 11, I find the tap to click sensitivity to be too sensitive to slight touches to the touchpad. I’ve tried reducing the sensitivity in the windows 11 touchpad settings to “lowest”. However, it doesn’t make a difference if I select Most Sensitive or Least Sensitive, it appears the same very light tap to the touchpad will cause the tap to function (left click).

Anyone else running Windows 11 notice similar with the Tap function? if so, anyone find a solution? I’ve been working with Support and so far just a lot of random back and forth but no solutions offered (yet).

Yes, I have the 13th gen driver pack installed. Windows 11 pro is latest version with all updates.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Like

We have discussed this in our support case but I’ll copy the information here to help anyone else looking for information on this setting in Windows 11.

Having investigated further the Touchpad Sensitivity setting in Windows 11 does not affect how lightly or firmly you need to tap in order to register a click, instead the setting is for adjusting the sensitivity of Accidental Activation Prevention (AAP). From Microsoft’s documentation of this setting:

AAP is a feature of Precision Touchpads that suppresses certain actions like mouse moves and taps for a short time after keyboarding events. The specific timeouts depend on the type of action and the region of the touchpad receiving input, as well as the user setting called Touchpad sensitivity found in Touchpad settings. More sensitive means less time is spent suppressing input after keyboarding events. Maximum sensitivity means AAP timeouts are zero and AAP is not in effect.

With "Most Sensitive " selected you should be able to tap to click or move the cursor whilst typing, whereas the lower sensitivity settings introduce a timeout where the taps will not register after a Keystroke.

3 Likes

I’d like to bump this to see if anyone has a solution to reducing the click sensitivity on the touchpad for Win 11. I have to be really aware of where the cursor is right now as I accidentally click fairly often. Anyway to reduce it would be appreciated. I’d even be happy removing clicking except in the case where I physically depress the touchpad.

3 Likes

I have this issue as well. It’s good to know that changing the touchpad sensitivity to “Low sensitivity” does nothing - but that’s not an actual solution. It would be nice to be able to use the touchpad to move the cursor without accidentally clicking things.

I’ve disabled “Tap with a finger to single-click.” Now I have to press the touchpad down firmly, physically pressing the touchpad like a button. At least that avoids accidental clicks - but it’s annoying. I just want Framework to adjust the tap to click sensitivity.

2 Likes

I am having the same issue with the overly sensitive touchpad and then occasionally it won’t work at all. Is there a solve to this from FW? I’ve turned the sensitivity down and played with all the settings I can think of and read in other threads. Thanks

I’m a Linux/macOS user using a new Framework laptop with Windows 11, so Windows is new-ish to me.

I too thought the trackpad was over-sensitive at first. Symptoms that slowly drove me crazy:

• Accidentally dragging browser tabs (clicking a tab, lifting my finger briefly, then lowering it to move the cursor somewhere else would move the browser tab).
  • Accidentally selecting text when clicking somewhere then moving the cursor.
  • Dragging files instead of clicking on them, sometimes accidentally moving files in the process.

It turns out that in all these cases I was triggering a Windows 11 feature that was on by default:

I turned “tap twice and drag to multi-select” off in touchpad settings and suddenly the trackpad behaves exactly as I expect; no more accidentally tapping twice to trigger dragging, that I had assumed was a sensitivity issue.

I don’t expect this to solve everyone’s issue around having fine-grained control over sensitivity, but sharing here in case there are any other non-Windows-natives running into this.

I tried that however it still works sporadically. It’s more my dragging a finger across the pad to move the curser and it will randomly decide to click on a spot on the page, or right click or not move at all.

Also just for background I purchased this laptop in fall of last year with Windows 11 pre installed so I’m not sure if that’s the issue. I didn’t have any issues for the first few months, it’s only been this last month where the trackpad has become unreliable. Any tips or fixes would be really appreciated

I have the same issue, even way cheaper laptop have better trackpad, the macbook has the best trackpad ever in a laptop, and framwork laptop is expensive, you can even buy a macbook, not sure if it’s worth for the repairability, you could just get a new laptop IMHO.

If you disable tap, the click sound is so loud, it’s not a good laptop.

It is not just a Windows issue it would appear. I have been running Arch Linux with Wayland/Libinput for the last little while, and have been experiencing the same issues as described here. I did do a little digging today to see if changing either pressure thresholds or tap size thresholds would do the trick, but no success yet.

$ sudo libinput measure touchpad-pressure
Using PIXA3854:00 093A:0274 Touchpad: /dev/input/event9

This device does not have the capabilities for pressure-based touch detection.
Details: Device does not have ABS_PRESSURE or ABS_MT_PRESSURE

$ sudo libinput measure touch-size
Using PIXA3854:00 093A:0274 Touchpad: /dev/input/event9

This device does not have the capabilities for size-based touch detection.
Details: Device does not have ABS_MT_TOUCH_MAJOR

I think I may do some more digging in the future, but nothing for now.

Here are some jumping off points for anyone else using Linux and wants to do some more work.
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/touchpad-pressure.html#touchpad-pressure
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/touchpad-pressure-debugging.html#touchpad-pressure-hwdb
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/touchpad-pressure-debugging.html

1 Like