Touchscreen Prototype

I initially viewed Framework as capitalizing on the interests of DIY/Tech enthusiasts to sell a relatively run-of-the-mill laptop.
I had seen some of the cyberdeck projects featured in videos, but none of them were resonating with me.
The inspiration for this build didn’t hit me until I happened upon an open box deal for a portable monitor.

Design priorities for the build:

  • A device that can utilize the Framework’s USB-C connectivity to its fullest
  • A portable debug tool that could suit the engineers of a hardware validation lab (which has been my work setting for the last six years)

The monitor that caught my eye was a 14-inch display from Element.
A portable touchscreen able to connect power, touch & video through one USB-C struck me as novel.
This feature is especially handy in a lab environment because the test systems outnumber the monitors on hand.


  • Element EM2PTAD14BS
  • Battery (55 Wh)
  • Mainboard (11th Gen Intel)
  • Mainboard Case
  • NVMe (1 TB)
  • RAM (DDR4, 3200, 32 GB)
  • Audio Board
  • Wi-Fi Antenna
  • Wi-Fi Module (Intel, AX201/AX210)

Physical Alterations:
I started making changes to the gadgets by copying the 100 mm VESA square to a paper stencil.
Next, I centered the stencil over the back half of the touchscreen’s folding cover to plan bolt placement.
I drilled the four bolt holes, once I had an grasp of their positioning.
To finish the job, I threaded a nut onto each of the bolts.
Right Side Diagram:

The second alteration I made was to the mainboard case.
There’s not a convenient spot to fit the battery within the case, so running its wires through a hole seemed sensible.
I drilled the hole through the side that the battery port faces.
Case Hole:

The most recent alteration I made was to the battery’s wires.
The hole I drilled in the case couldn’t accommodate the battery’s plug.
My remedy for this was to piece together a wiring harness that did fit.
Most of the harness was made from a length of Cat 6 network cable.
I salvaged four narrower wires from some USB cable.
I soldered the respective plug leads for the board end of the harness.
The battery side of the harness was spliced using some Wago 221 connectors (plus a couple others).


  1. A less convoluted and more robust battery harness would be indispensable.
  2. Some means of securing the battery when the Framework is attached to the touchscreen would be handy.
1 Like

Bonus Images:

One more image:

1 Like