Touchscreen Support

Will the framework 13/16 mobo will work with a touch screen display with appropriate connectors and drivers?

1 Like

For the Framework-13, connector wise, yes and no.
Technically, yes. But in reality, considering that there is no touchscreen compatible cable available, no.

The motherboard connector has touchscreen signals, but Framework does not currently sell a cable which carries those signals over to the display end. The current Framework-13 display uses a common 40-pin four lane eDP connector pinout, this pinout does not have touchscreen signals, and so the cable can’t have those pins. Having a custom cable made would be very expensive, prohibitively expensive for an individual.

Just to be clear, do not attempt to plug in a touchscreen display using the current Framework-13 cable. It’s not a touchscreen cable.

Common eDP laptop panel pinouts

Framework-13 display side connector pinout

Framework-13 motherboard side connector pinout

For the Framework-16, it’s not yet known.

1 Like

So in short The mobo supports touch screen but we don’t have the proper cable…

But pitstoptech has made a gaming handheld with touchscreen

Yes.

Yeah, they posted a video here Framework Gaming Handheld Video!
But I haven’t seen them share details on the build. Some touchscreens use usb for the touch portion. If it’s usb and breaks that out to a separate connector, then you can connect it to any available usb port. Besides the normal 4 usb ports on the sides, a Framework-13 has a couple internal usb connections. The webcam and the fingerprint reader have usb connections.

1 Like

I’ve noticed because of the touchscreen borders; some 15.6" touchscreens are close to the size of the 16" display.

Hello:

I’d like to highlight for the Framework team that a touchscreen flavor of the FW13 would be a very helpful option for some older folks who are not as adept as we are with touchpads and mice.

I have observed several older people I’ve helped and much to my surprise touch screens really are a help when they need to urgently switch tabs or close a window. Bright and vivid OLED screens are helpful too, and i guess burn-in is not a concern for limited use.

Suggestion:

Adapt one of the good 16:10 or hopefully 3:2 13"/14" OLED panels for a small framework laptop update to align with the next Hawk Point / Strix Point AMD Ryzen refresh.

Worst case, even it the panel and hinges force this to be an oversized 2-in-1 FW13 chassis variant, perhaps those new main boards can retain compatibility with stock FW13 albeit without touch, obviously.

Thank you!
David

Edit to update: Yes, I do recall seeing some comments from Framework team previously about the complexity of touchscreens. My point here is to share how helpful this feature may be outside of merely the cool factor or creator space.

1 Like

I suppose that when they’re ready, if the motherboard supports it then Framework could release a touch screen and any required wire harness changes when they’re ready to. Honestly, I like laptops with touch screens but unless it’s a 2-in-1, its definitely a nice to have.

For my own use I agree, no point without a 2-in-1 chassis option.

But for older folks, even without using any part of the 2-in-1 aspect, touch screens appear to have value.

In practical terms, I agree that linking a touchscreen to a 2-in-1 option might be the way to capture enough volume to be worthwhile.

I would appreciate a touch screen option as well. I showed my fw13 at christmas to my nephews and they were really excited about it. They said they would like to buy one. But they need a touchscreen for their school obligatory, not just as a nice to have. So, pupils and students are very interested in this feature as well.

5 Likes

I currently have a Dell XPS 13 with 4k touchscreen display. I was considering switching laptop since I would love to have a repairable laptop, but for me switching is a no-go only because the panel is not touchscreen.
Since it’s not a cheap laptop, I would like to have the option to choose a higher end panel.

2 Likes

Why would it be prohibitively expensive? Realistically, the touchscreen would be better if it were glass, so you’d need a new assembly anyways, possibly a new bezel too and the new screen assembly would probably just have the cable necessary attached to it anyways. I don’t think most people would have to manually change the cable and since the pin outs are already there, they just have to make the cable with the correct pin outs for said touchscreen compatibility and bam. It can be an option for new customers like the main board is and upgrade option for existing ones.

A custom cable would be prohibitively expensive for an individual to have made. Framework of course could do it if they come out with a touchscreen option. And a custom cable is needed because there seems to be no standard for motherboard side display connectors.