[TRACKING] White Screen Display Bug On Fedora 39

Had the same issue that others have reported in this thread. My screen would consistently (read: every time) go white after I resumed from suspend. This was on a new Framework 13 AMD 7840 with Fedora 39 (6.7.11-200.fc39.x86_64), BIOS 03.03, and whatever UMA_GAME_OPTIMIZED defaults to.

When resuming from suspend, the display would flicker and I could see the desktop when moving my cursor but I could ctrl+alt+f3 to and the flickering and white screen would disappear. I could then restart gdm systemctl restart gdm to recover without restarting fully.

Ran the grubby sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args=“amdgpu.sg_display=0” fix and it has immediately worked. I can now suspend and wake without any display issues. Hopefully this remains the case and it’s not just a coincidence.

Hi,

I had the white screen flickering after a suspend lid closed (about 1 hour). I got through the white screen by moving the cursor as it would make the screen blink so I could see a bit of interface and go from there.
Looks like what Mattias has experienced.
I’ll run the grubby command now.
Cheers :slight_smile:

Framework 13 AMD 7640u

UMA_GAME_OPTIMIZED is enabled in the BIOS.  -> No

sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="amdgpu.sg_display=0" -> No

BIOS 3.03 Yes

Is this happening while gaming or watching videos/browsing? -> Long suspend lid closed.

Kernel version on Fedora Workstation 39 (6.6.12 or which?) -> Linux 6.8.4-200.fc39.x86_64 x86_64  Fedora Workstation 39 

System Details Report

Report details

• Date generated: 2024-04-09 16:26:17

Hardware Information:

• Hardware Model: Framework Laptop 13 AMD Ryzen 7040Series
  • Memory: 16.0 GiB
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U w/ Radeon™ 760M Graphics × 12
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon™ Graphics
  • Disk Capacity: 512.1 GB

Software Information:

• Firmware Version: 03.03
  • OS Name: Fedora Linux 39 (Workstation Edition)
  • OS Build: (null)
  • OS Type: 64-bit
  • GNOME Version: 45.5
  • Windowing System: Wayland
  • Kernel Version: Linux 6.8.4-200.fc39.x86_64

Same issue coming from lid closed (suspend) and also YouTube when made full screen. Ran the sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args=“amdgpu.sg_display=0” several days ago and it is fixed now!

Thank you!

For other Linux distros that have this bug and are not Fedora-based, you can add amdgpu.sg_display=0 to kernel parameters (accessed by pressing e if using grub, see this Arch wiki page for other setups.)