[TRACKING] White Screen Display Bug On Fedora 39

I have a framework laptop AMD version on the latest version of fedora 39. It will sometimes wake up to a complete white screen and cannot be recovered by moving the cursor or pressing buttons on the keyboard.

I was wondering if others have encountered the same problem, and if there is any fix this problem

Here is the technical detail about my machine:

System Details Report

Report details

• Date generated: 2023-12-11 22:16:19

Hardware Information:

• Hardware Model: Framework Laptop 13 AMD Ryzen 7040Series
  • Memory: 16.0 GiB
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U w/ Radeon™ 760M Graphics × 12
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon™ Graphics
  • Disk Capacity: 250.1 GB

Software Information:

• Firmware Version: 03.03
  • OS Name: Fedora Linux 39 (Workstation Edition)
  • OS Build: (null)
  • OS Type: 64-bit
  • GNOME Version: 45.2
  • Windowing System: Wayland
  • Kernel Version: Linux 6.6.4-200.fc39.x86_64
1 Like
1 Like

Making sure you noticed step 6, followed the AMD link and tried this from the AMD link:

sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="amdgpu.sg_display=0"

Then reboot. See if this helps.

If it does not, also try:

1 Like

I have set the parameter and let’s see if that helps. I remembered that UMA_GAME_OPTIMIZED option will consume more battery, I wonder if it is true.

Finally, here is a single data point. I used to only have a blinking white strip in the middle of the screen for around once a week, which is not annoying, since I can still install updates and restart. After I added 8 more GB of ram (8 → 16), this problem becomes much worse, the entire screen turns white and happens around once every two days.

I don’t know if this change in behavior is caused by an update or the ram upgrade. But I hope this helps in some way.

Ah, now this is interesting. When we troubleshoot, we do examine all hardware/software changes before an issue presents itself.

I’d start with:

• UMA_GAME_OPTIMIZED

• sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args=“amdgpu.sg_display=0”

• Rebooting each time.

• If none of these resolve it, it may be ticket worthy at that point.

@Matt_Hartley actually after i set amdgpu.sg_display=0 the problem never came back.

1 Like

Also reporting in on this issue. I have a machine with the exact same configuration and OS version reported by Cheng (Fedora 39 6.6.4-200 and FW v3.03 on 13" AMD, mine was a Batch 11), experiencing a blank white screen occasionally on wake.

Some notes: The system doesn’t seem to be locked up.

• The cursor still appears and can be moved around. The cursor will change appropriately according to the content that should be on the screen, e.g. to drag the corner of a window.

• Can still access a vterm with CTRL + ALT + FX to reboot.

Is this the same for you @Cheng?

It was intermittent, so hard to test, but will set amdgpu.sg_display=0 and let you all know if I experience further issues too.

@variegated.vanilla I haven’t tested the vterm. IIRC, I do remember that I can see the cursor moving, and I believe the top bar remains black, with some white squares where some icons supposed to be.

Do you mind sharing your exact config (CPU, disk, ram) to see if it helps framwork teams troubleshoot this?

@Cheng Thanks! I suspect I have the same issue as you. That said, unlike what you describe, my screen is entirely white with only the cursor visible.

My machine is configured exactly as yours is described in your original post. Same OS, kernel, RAM, etc. I am using a Batch 11 DIY machine with parts that were provided by Framework.

I’ll try to keep quiet for now so as to not to pollute this thread further with potential confounding information. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

same configuration, same issue, have just run the command above - will advise if it works or not.

1 Like

I had the same issue. As per this thread, I changed UMA_GAME_OPTIMIZED in the BIOS. So far (1 day) the issue seemed to have gone away. I stress ‘tested’ it by running a couple of games where the issue popped up the most reliantly.

Do keep us posted.

• Remember to stay full up to date with your updates.
    -Report back it happens again.

I have the same framework computer (AMD fw 3.03) and the same issue whit fedora 39. I am going to keep following this conversation.

After I have set amdgpu.sg_display=0 kernel parameter, the issue never came back. Maybe you want to do that?

1 Like

Thank you @Cheng I just did that and I had no problem today. I hope this fixes the issue permanenty!

Is there a particular kernel version in which this is or will be fixed?

All those affect, for proper tracking of this.

Please confirm the following:

• UMA_GAME_OPTIMIZED is enabled in the BIOS. (Yes/No)

• sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="amdgpu.sg_display=0" (Yes/No)

• BIOS 3.03 (Yes/No)

• Is this happening while gaming or watching videos/browsing? (Gaming/Browsing/Videos)

• Kernel version on Fedora Workstation 39 (6.6.12 or which?)

(Please respond in this format so I am can get straight to the common details)

1 Like

I have recently switched to silverblue, the issue did not occur during setup phase (with installation of large packages in distrobox, many rebasing etc.). But come back immediately after I started editing large documents in vscodium. So this align with the assumption that this is a (video) memory issue.

Here is the setup when the bug happended:

• UMA_GAME_OPTIMIZED is enabled in the BIOS. (NO)
  • sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args=“amdgpu.sg_display=0” (NO)
  • BIOS 3.03 (YES)
  • Is this happening while gaming or watching videos/browsing? (Large Document Editing In VSCodium With LaTeX)
  • Kernel version on Fedora Workstation 39 (Linux 6.6.13-200.fc39.x86_64)

I have now set the kernel argument amdgpu.sg_display=0, and I will be back if the issue occurs again.

1 Like

Appreciate the update. I have not needed this myself, but it appears to be one of those issues that affects some folks and not others. There is another bug coming up that we are getting in front of the Fedora team. There is an active patch for it (kernel 6.7.x), but I am working to get this sorted with Fedora shortly.

1 Like

Just chiming in my own experience here. Recently got a new Framework 13, didn’t check BIOS versions or any configurations. Merely installed Fedora 39.

Experienced a white screen when I’d full screen a game, and when trying an external display.

I tried the grubby fix: grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="amdgpu.sg_display=0", and now all is well.