I’m trying to find a docking solution for my FW13 AMD and my MacBook (on loan from my workplace).
In order of priority, here are my goals:
- Using the same hardware for both FW13 and MacBook,
- I want to connect two monitors to my laptop,
- via a single USB-C cable,
- and charge it via that cable too.
The FW13 has USB4 ports and the MacBook has Thunderbolt 3 ports. I’m unclear on whether the MacBook is compatible with a pure USB4 hub or if it needs TB.
MacBooks are not compatible with docks that use MST (multi-stream transport). It also sounds like AMD USB4 can only handle one DP stream, for which MST is a workaround.
My current attempt is this:
- TB4 hub with 2 downstream TB ports.
- Hub has PD, this works fine.
- TB->DP adapter in one port connected to monitor. Result: monitor is fixed to wrong resolution (640x480) and makes loud clicking noises.
- HDMI expansion card in one port (because I don’t have a TB->HDMI adapter) connected to monitor. Result: monitor does not connect; FW13 touchpad disables while expansion card is connected.
All of the above works perfectly on the MacBook.
Does anyone know how I might achieve a single-cable dual-monitor docking solution for the FW13 AMD and the MacBook at the same time?