Unofficial Guide to Aftermarket LCD Replacement

I’m very glad that your replacement was a success! I hope you found the guide useful. Congratulations!

1 Like

Just adding another data point, used this guide to replace by screen with a matte version. No surprises and everything worked on the first try. It would be great if Framework would sell the aluminium strips for and/or offer a matte variant.

4 Likes

Just curious, regarding the eDP cable how does it actually work?

Is it resolution specific or is it panel specific.

If I find a panel with compatible pinout, does it matter about the panel size as long the resolution is the same?

I have no clue.
Supposedly it should just work, since eDP is basically just a displayport but sized different.
I can sacrifice my laptop(s) to try that; I have a 17 inch panel and I only have a 13 and 14 inch monitor

1 Like

A suggestion @John_Perez : it might be better to disconnect the battery via the UEFI vs physical disconnection to prevent needless wear on the connections. External displays can be utilized in the event that the broken display is truly and completely FUBAR.

Update:
The connector on the 16 inch (or 17 inch) panel is identical to the one on my original 14 inch panel (on the Thinkpad T14S). You can plug one into another.
However, when I plug in the big panel I get a “0288 beep code” which according to the manual means “computer display error”.
The 16/17 inch panel do come from the recycle bin, so it is plausible that the display is non-functional in the first place (perhaps the display PCB get damaged).
I will post more updates if I get to swap around my HP’s 15 inch panel.

Do you think this one is worthy to use any other screen?
Alliexpress
or find something similar, to reuse old laptop´s lcd?

I wouldn’t even start to look up something like that. Unless I can verify the pinout (which they dont give you) of the display and the device.
Especially since displays … hm.

The ribbon between the top cover and motherboard is not eDP, is it?
since you need to provide power to LCD backlight
Yeah maybe I did something wrong there. But the idea is that depending on the display there might be additional components required to drive backlight it might come with additional connectors (e.g., power) that your original board do not have, or have an altered pinout on the connector that utilized the unused pins.

Replacement eDP cables are now available in the Marketplace: Framework

15 Likes