Replace Display With Aftermarket

Has anyone attempted to buy an aftermarket display and swap it in for the stock one?
I was wondering what connector is used exactly, if I can figure that out and the exact display size it may be possible to swap in a higher definition panel of the same dimensions and connector.

1 Like

This guy swapped in a matte screen from AliExpress. Based on the AliExpress listing it uses an eDP 40-pin connector.

4 Likes

@hieros Very nice, And it looks like he got a higher resolution display too.

1 Like

@good4y0u Still shows max res 2256x1504, but night and day glare reduction. I had a “paper” screen protector on my tablet (and have tried other “matte” sheets) but have always found they didnt work as well as the (I assume) fully bonded ones.

I have a smidge of backlight bleed in the bottom right corner but only when the whole display is black (And no dead pixels shipping from china to Canada)

3 Likes

@Davy_Bell do you have an image of how this turned out? I’d love to see it. There is a decent chance I go down this road if I order at this point. I’m hesitant because I really want a nice display and a 15" model.

I was shipped the NE135FBM-N41 v8.1

@good4y0u If you look at the posts above I did take some pics. I haven’t had time to do a comparison. I love the matte screen though and its my daily driver laptop with it.

Mine is. It’s packed insanely well and I paid more for the fedex option FYI.

1 Like

So the screens from BOE are available in both glossy or matte. What is stopping Framework from offering an option when you order??? It’s the same screen correct?
NE135FBM-N41 v8.1

Interestingly they list 2 lanes for data on the eDP 40 pin connector… I want to try the 3000x2000 OLED display as HP uses, although I’ve only seen it in glossy.