USB-A ports - very slow?

Hello

I bought several USB-A slot expansion cards. So far, I am baffled at how slow the USB-A port is, compared to USB-A ports on my other computers. Things that take seconds when I connect my USB hard drive to my four-year-old desktop PC take minutes when I connect it to the Framework laptop. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to improve the performance of the USB-A expansion cards?

Thanks

Robert

What speeds are you getting using a USB device, also specify what version of USB does it use?

Currently, about 3.5MB per second (USB 2.0 High Speed device).
The USB 3.0 hard drive manages about 100MB/s.

Check if you’ve gotten the right drivers installed. (aka. the ones Framework provides)

If you’re not running windows you might have to do some tinkering with config files to get full speed out of your USB-A adapters. The protocol your OS runs for the adapters might just be generic and not entirely compatible with the controller inside the card.

Hi @ICIkarus,

May we ask if you have installed the latest BIOS 3.07 and drivers? Try updating the BIOS and drivers to see if that fixes the issue. You can download it through this link: Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases

If this continues to be an issue for you, I would recommend submitting a ticket to our support team here: Framework | Support so they can ensure your laptop is performing as intended!

Thank you and stay safe!

1 Like