USB port turns on and off

After using the Framework laptop for some weeks, it developed an odd problem (this may have been after updating to Windows 11 - not sure).

I use this USB PD hub as my power adapter and to connect the laptop to an external monitor and multiple USB devices, including a keyboard. Amazon.com

Sometimes, after I have been using the laptop on battery, it will misbehave when I plug it back in. The backlit USB keyboard will turn on and off. I may get a warning on the computer that the USB port isn’t working. The display on the laptop screen will shrink and then return to full size. It will act as if it’s about to render the display across an external monitor… and then change it’s mind. All of this will happen over and over, as if the USB port on the Framework works for a second, then stops working, then starts working, over and over.

If I move the USB cable to a different port, it will work fine. Well, except that now a second USB port has developed the same issue. But at least it still works in the third USB port - for now.

After the computer has been plugged in for a while, I can move the cable back to the original port and it will work.

I see similar threads on these forums. (I tried to put links to those threads here, but the forum prevents me from posting more than two links… even to other posts on the same forum :man_facepalming: )
Some of them say the problem is fixed in BIOS version 3.06. But that is not the case for me.

As you can see, I’m using BIOS 3.07, but the problem is occurring.

Any thoughts? I’m hoping it’s a software bug Framework can fix, and doesn’t mean my motherboard is bad.

Here are some links to possibly related problems:

Edit (just noticed this post as well):

Michael_Wu (in the second thread) is currently investigating if replacing the motherboard fixes the problem for him.

Hi @Chad_Schultz. I would recommend submitting a ticket to our support team here: Framework | Support so they can ensure your laptop is performing as intended!

Thank you and stay safe!

1 Like

Submitted support request, we’ll see what happens, thank you.