Vertical Lines Going Down Screen

I just booted up my computer and there was a series of vertical lines of various colors going down the screen. I tried restarting a few times and they didn’t go away. It wasn’t doing this last night. I’ve attached an image of it below. Any idea of what could be causing this and how to fix it?

1 Like

Do you see that during boot up or in the BIOS?

It looks like physical damage. Did you put something heavy on the lid with it closed? Has the lid been twisted?

@Fraoch it appears as soon as soon as the computer is turned on and throughout boot up. I haven’t checked, but it presumably appears in BIOS too. I’m not aware of anything heavy being on it, the screen being twisted, or any thing else that would have damaged it. I was watching a video on it last night and I set it down before bed and picked it back up this afternoon. I noticed that if you put a little pressure on the sides of the screen the lines flicker and change positions a bit. So I tried unplugging to cable to the display and plugged it back in but that didn’t change anything.

Sounds like a broken panel, and even if it isn’t, get in contact with support, they should be able to help you. Just know that support times have been a bit slow recently due to an increase in tickets, so it could take some time to get a response, but if you contact them they will get back to you as soon as they can.

1 Like

Please submit a support request through Framework Support

Possible physical damage.

3 Likes

I have something similar, just one column lost, but also a splotch above it that looks like perhaps too much pressure on that point in shipping or something.

(This was the first time I’ve turned it on. I’ve already submitted a support request.)

1 Like

Ah, yes, certainly in my case - ‘nicely’ aligned with the affected area:

(Sorry I’m partly just posting because I’m having trouble with email attachments, so this is convenient hosting for me to reply to support request with a link :smile:)

The one with the lines is probably a panel problem, not physical damage.
I had a TV that did this spontaniously.

if it is damage you usually see all sorts of colors and a clear crack in the screen.
At least, that is what I see when someone has dropped the laptop.

Thank you all for your responses and sorry for the very delayed response. But I just wanted to send out an update. I contacted customer support and they said what many of you did, that it sounded like a damaged screen. They said they would send me a new one free of charge. It was rather challenging getting it because since buying the computer I moved to Sweden which they don’t service yet. But we finally managed it and successfully completed the replacement. It definitely felt good to have my computer back.

1 Like

Adding on here that I had a very similar experience.

• 1 week old framework 13.
  • Walked from a meeting room to my desk, opened it back up, and lines down the screen all of a sudden.
  • I had just made the walk and it was uneventful so I was confused.
  • I poured over the unit for loose connectors, signs of dents/bumps/scratches, and anything I could find that contributed to this and found nothing.
  • Whats more, the screen appeared to be damaged in an impossible place, where it is very well protected at the bottom.

Support asked me for multiple rounds of photos to the point that I got tired of it and just ordered another screen myself. I just don’t have the patience to repeatedly fill their requests for a $1400 purchase that survived only one week. Not that pleased right now.

2 Likes

Interesting. I had the same problem at exactly the same spot.

1 Like

Add me to the list too.
I had over 15 emails back and forth and they are telling me to send my laptop for repair as it may be due to motherboard. But I already got a replacement display out of my pocket and confirmed it is display issue not the motherboard.
This support is ridiculous!!! Hopefully someone from the community steps in to resolve these issues.

2 Likes

It’s such an odd location for any damage to occur. That area is very well protected when assembled, so my hunch is that things may be in tension when the unit ships, or a pre-existing fracture is there and getting exaggerated with regular use.

They are treating me like I’m clueless, and after nearly 2 decades of electronics manufacturing experience it’s pretty irritating. I just ordered a screen to repair this on my own, but im not terribly happy about it.

2 Likes

Well this is rather worrisome. As a new owner of a fw13 I was getting frustrated with support as they too were asking me for multiple rounds of different viewing angles etc for my unit…

I opened my DIY kit to a bent input panel with a key coming off and they still make me fight for a replacement input cover…

I’ve never been treating so poorly after spending $1800 just last week and the day I get the unit it’s broken and like pulling teeth to get framework to just give replace the single $100 part…

• Editing to share that I did send them 5 pictures when they first asked for them, which again, included a picture of a key falling off lol and they still were like “cOuLd YoU TaKe SoME PiCTuReS oF ThE BoTToM Of thE LapToP”

Well it doesn’t make me feel any better that they are treating everyone in an equally unhelpful manner, but at least they are consistent. Hopefully they can improve their tactics. I went against my better judgement by getting the framework instead of an HP Spectre or Surface, and I’m regretting that a bit now. Those companies actually test and support their equipment.

Amusingly though, I’m demonstrating the ease of repairability for them. Its just not because of misuse or wear and tear, but instead poor design and/or manufacture.

Oh Jeez. My AMD FW13 just did this, this weekend, and I already have a support ticket open, but now I’m wondering if I should just buy a panel out of pocket and save some headaches.

I have no visible signs of damage, just a ton of vertical lines about 2cm from the left side. Shows in the bios, never goes away, flashes and sparkles if I touch the area where the lines start, at the bottom of the screen.

Repairable is great, and I’ve pitched and advocated for Framework pretty hard, but probable defects like this are a heartbreaker. I have stuff I wanted to be doing on my laptop this weekend, and now I can’t. Hearing that support is likely to be difficult makes that support worth less.

1 Like