What advantage does the FW official charger has over the aftermarkets?

While I really like this company, I haven’t picked up the official charger, because I want a plug like charger.

(tried hard to find something not with a brand name to display here)

SO I am curious, if there’s any advantage of the official charger that can outweight the cons?

Not sure, I know that the chargers are well built. Also in the case of the Framework 16 the charger is supposed to be one of the first that can produce that much power in such a form factor.

5 Likes

It’s just a normal 60W USB-PD charger. There’s no advantage or disadvantage to using the Framework adapter compared to another. If you’d rather supply your own, that’s perfectly acceptable.

Not exactly. The FW charger is well designed and provides a clean and stable output. Watch the following two videos to learn more and why not all chargers are created equal.

https://youtu.be/XyG8QEe6GIk?si=Wan1p1_8AzTblN4_

https://youtu.be/clrooTDfil8?si=P0_A8ygpMsFKNZuS

5 Likes

There are loads of power adapters that do the same. The Framework is a good adapter, sure. But is it particularly advantageous to use over another good adapter? No, not really.

1 Like

It sounds like you want a “wall wart” style charger that plugs directly into the wall and has a USB-C cable from there. In that case, there’s no reason not to get a charger separately. As others have alluded to, I’d recommend a quality charger, but as long as it conforms to the USB PD standards, it should work just fine.

As far as benefits to the FW charger, it does have a couple, as far as I am concerned. First, I like that it has a cord from the wall to the “brick” because the plug doesn’t take as much space up when plugged into a surge suppressor or just when used it tricky places in general. I also like that it provides a few extra feet of length, without having to buy a longer USB C cable. Also, being a GaN based charger, the “brick” itself is quite small for a 60-65 watt charger. Neither of those things are unique to the FW charger though. If the price/features of the FW charger fit your needs, that’s great. If not, there’s no reason not to get something else that will work better for you.

2 Likes

I keep the 60W FW charger at home and use a small Anker 30W one out and about. Works fine.

The FW charger is 3-prong/grounded, most (all I’ve been able to find) other ones are not. Without ground, you typically get the tingling leakage current sensation.

A “tingle” sensation may be felt when touching the exposed metal portions of the notebook and/or 2 -prong AC adapter when the AC adapter is plugged in. The “tingle” sensation is not an indication of a failed or defective ground.

A 3-prong adapter is one option to eliminate the “tingle” sensation. The other is to change some of the environmental factors involved. As an example, the “tingle” sensation won’t happen when running the notebook on battery power. Also, you can eliminate the “tingle” sensation by connecting a grounded peripheral such as a USB printer or other device that uses a 3-prong adapter to the notebook.

4 Likes

Thanks for mentioning the tingling leakage… I recall experiencing that and it’s no fun
Hmmmm… I might give FW charger a greenlight due to that reason. unless I can find something.

One thing I like about the official FW charger is that it supports multiple charging voltages over USB PD (5v,9v,15v, and 20v). So while it’s a weaker than a 120w Dell charger for example, the FW charger can charge multiple different laptops and smartphones at fast charging speeds, while the Dell charger simply doesn’t support devices that can’t run on 20v.

Personally I’ll be repurposing the 60W charger of my previous dead laptop. So I guess one advantage of aftermarket chargers is that you potentially already own it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I dont really have the technical knowledge, but in the video he said he didn’t really recommend it…?

To be fair he doesn’t seem to particularly like any of the 65w adapters but basically the take away is it’s alright. The 65w anker nano II is more compact and the 65w amazon basics is cheaper.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a recurring theme on the channel that 65W chargers tend to lack power factor correction, which he really likes to see. Some 100W chargers employ the technique even at low power levels, but I can’t recall a single video where he’s tested a 65W model with the feature.

The reviews are all various shades of pointing out the weaknesses of each charger and this one was indeed pretty positive overall. Not positive enough that I’d buy one if I wasn’t buying a computer, but enough to be very comfortable using the one that came with the computer.

PFC is only required above 65W and costs space and money…

The “Not great, not terrible”/“Nothing really wrong with it” is a pretty good score there XD

what about pps he mentioned, is it important to have?

For charging a framework laptop, not really.

Some phones do use pps for their fast charging, other than that I don’t know a lot of stuff that actually uses it.

Samsung Galaxy S models, for example.

I’m almost certain that most PD chargers support most voltages lower than their maximum voltage. They also must support at least 5 V, regardless of what other voltages they support.

To conform to the standard you’d have to, however dell being dell that is not a guarantee.