What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

Windows 10 network share. Just get good WLAN card.
We already get enough USB Wifi things. I dont think we need another one from framework.
Unless it’s one of those “industrial” ones with a giant high-gain antenna, but even then we really just need to connect the antenna to the WLAN card of your choice.
… aha. Maybe like a USB telemetry radio thing would be cool. However the circuitry for those will be decently sized and I’m not sure if it should be framework specific.

2 Likes

are there plans to release a rfid expansion card

2 Likes

I may have something in the works with Tom Christiansen from Neurochrome for a Expansion card DAC!

4 Likes

I’ve seen some videos of people using external GPUs without eGPU enclosures which greatly removes the extra costs. It requires the use of a PCIe slot though. Would it be possible to have a PCIe card for such use?

1 Like

One question, what would everyone like on the output of this DAC?

2 Likes

Would be interesting to see if the output of the new Macbook Pros could be matched (They can do 96kHz) in an expansion card form factor.

I’d personally prioritize sticking to a standard expansion card factor over bigger output numbers though.

1 Like

In a basic headphone jack (3.5mm) I’m guessing.

2 Likes

ATMega32U4 (a.k.a. Arduino Leonardo). It has some PWMs.
Or if you feel like that’s not enough you can throw in some beefy DAC.
… oo. DAC.
Arduino Due have 2 DAC.

1 Like

I would very much be interested in a KVM module. Something that might work similar to the module in the GPD Pocket 3 (GPD Pocket 3 - Shenzhen GPD Technology Co., Ltd.). For example, you can connect the outputs of a machine to the GPD Pocket, and use the GPD Pocket as the keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. This would be incredibly useful in the IT world - I almost bought a GPD Pocket specifically for this feature.

5 Likes

Ah. yes. They are an extremely powerful contendor in the miniPC market. I purchased their GPD Win Max (v3 Gen 1) and its absolute amazing. 25W cooling in 7 inch for days. Save for the fact that the choice of material (and parts durability) can be improved, consider its price. The components (for motherboard and battery, at least) is actually good.

The Win Max and Framework is the only two laptop I have seen without an adjustable hinge. *cough* Ahem *cough*. Framework!

I extremely extremely dislike the fact that they have the FN1-10 and put two lone keys on the side. On the new version they mapped the ` and <- to F1-12 which is decent, but then the trackpad is slapped to an extremely awkward location.
But I must agree, the Pocket 3 and Win Max is by far the most refined “mini laptop” ever existed.

I believe there is a Linux-based something that allow your laptop to act as an external monitor and/or keyboard/mouse combo.

It’s mostly a software thing. You just need to go absolute nuts writing your BIOS (which you can’t, because Framework don’t make their own BIOS in-house yet), and your wish shall be granted.

One question, is this only DAC, or would this have input as well?

Will just be DAC.

-20 characters-

Give me a expansion card w/ 110db SINAD and at least 200mw out at 64ohm and we should be good.

Is that like a really good lot of specs, I know not much about audio.

neither do I but as a deaf person, quality (and, to a point, volume) reigns supreme. I cant deal with noise or distortion, and I can’t hear the speakers on my hp probook hardly at all.

Big +1 to this, as somebody who’s got a bit of dust or something in their fan while away from home… likely trivial to remove with the laptop open, but tracking down a Torx bit on short notice isn’t so easy!

Might even be possible to still pass through USB-C, so you don’t lose functionality- just have a small “emergency” screwdriver inside or something.

@Mimir yeah honestly that would be super useful, maybe it could even fold once so that the screwdriver is a bit longer while still keeping usb c functionality

1 Like

You can fit a standard 4mm HEX screwdriver bit in there, I think. No need to go crazy.
Where the handle come from, I don’t know. A recess (of 4mm HEX) can be made on the expansion card itself so you can insert the bit and use the card for extra leverage.
The card will have snap-on lid facing inwards and pack a Torx 6 (they are more durable than Torx 5) and a Philips 0. I dont think Framework used Torx on anything, tho.

2 Likes

torx is the ONLY thing framework uses besides the odd phillips

2 Likes

If that doesn’t work maybe there can be a dual port where one only supplies power and the other data that simply feed to the common USBC

2 Likes