What should we build next?

Id love to see partnerships honestly, be that with partners who make the same stuff as you, like laptops, or if its peoppe you dont compete with like valve and fairphone.

More parnerships in terms of different keyboards and input options on the framework 16 would be amazing.

1 Like

A repairable and customisable Xbox style game controller, and upgradeable in the long run.

Having read through the thread, here is my observation …

A NAS should be achievable with minimal effort, mainly designing a case to use an FW16 processor. I imagine a stripped down Linux loaded on the 2230 card leaving the 2280 card slot for NAS storage. FW have also intimated they have played with a PCB that can use the PCiE channels that go to the Expansion Bay to service a number of 2280 NVME modules, and this would allow a RAID array of modules to increase speed and militate against disk errors. The wifi card would allow using the NAS as a wifi server, and an ethernet module to connect to the cable modem, or whatever other internet connection is provided.

I envisage the cable modem (or equivalent) would be the prime firewall, possibly with secondary firewall in the NAS if so desired.

The NAS could also act as a cloud for local home automation (there have been various posts asking for cloudless home automation) that could also be accessed from the internet if so desired. This would probably involve some extra Linux programming to get suitable login access from the internet that would allow suitable secure access.

Much of the hardware required is already in development (as the Fw16 isn’t in delivery at time of writing). I envisage deliverables as follows; -

FW16 processor/memory/NVME, new design case, using existing model fans, and with ‘expansion board’ space. a DIY edition would allow purchaser to source memory and NVME elsewhere as desired.

Stage two would add the PCB to add the NVME array. This would effectively be a DIY add-on option, but a non-DIY version with the expansion PCB and desired number of NVME drives could also be offered.

So the only extra development required would be a case, as all the other hardware is effectively already in the product line (well, the NVME array PCB is a development play thing currently). Depending on how the case is designed the fan placement may need to be moved, or some other fan used.

1 Like
  • RISC-V processor board.
  • More expansion graphics modules, with different GPUs.
  • Possibility to plug-in custom expansion modules (e.g. for AI).
  • Possibility to connect to an external processor board, and switch display/keyboard between the internal and external one(s).
  • SIM card slot expansion card.
  • Expansion card with both USB-C and audio headphone jack (would allow to save one slot for other purposes).
  • An RS-232 expansion card :')
1 Like

I don’t know why people are always mentioning this. It is only going to be a USB-RS232 dongle anyway, so why not use an already readily available dongle? You are going to have to have a cable from the laptop to the other equipment anyway.

1 Like

Available from community members
Expansion cards - List of company or individually driven projects

1 Like
  • Make a laptop between the 13 and 16.
  • Better displays. Brightness, gamut, contrast ratio, and resolution - an OLED or MiniLED option.
  • A dark color option for the case, particularly the input cover.
  • Haptic trackpad.

Have you seen the forum for the Framework tablet that @whatthefilament suggested?

1 Like

I would like to see different laptop enclosures for internal components of the Framework 13/16. Ideas for conversion kits could include:

• Thoughbook-like enclosure: weather-proof with carrying straps for field-work/military

• Pelican Case Fit Kit: for integrating into certain hard cases such as Pelican 1400 or something similar

• Lenovo Yoga-like enclosure (with 360 degree hinge)

• Keyboard Kit: to turn the integrated keyboard into a stand alone unit to use with different computers (version with and without trackpad)

• Screen-To-Monitor Kit: to turn the screen into a standalone unit to use as a second monitor with other computers

• All-In-One Desktop Kit: would be aluminum and look like an iMac (with Vesa mount)

3 Likes

Please plan to create a 2tb or larger expansion card. Thank you!

3 Likes

How about bios for the 12 gen hardware that’s over due by almost a year and a half sense it was announced publicly.

2 Likes

A lot of other people have stated this, but please, please, please build out your ecosystem more before tackling any major new products (AIO, tablet, printer, etc.). A much more mature ecosystem around the laptops with things such as more first part expansion cards, partnerships with other companies (Fairphone?), and just generally more options around your laptops like OLED displays and touchscreen options (yes I’m aware of the cable issues).

5 Likes

I did. However, he is using all external components (such as a USB/HDMI attached touchscreen, among other things). While he did an admirable job with the battery, it is more or less a one-off.

I have suggested using the on-board eDP connector for a better direct connection, but sourcing the panels is not going to be the easiest.

Because I am in a position where I need to have … hm.

I dailied a Inspirion 3511 with a USB attached Wacom tablet, but it is a absolute clunker to actually work with, my neck is always somewhat twisted, and there is no way to use the pen in a realistic environment like in a work setting. I have to sit at my table and lay everything out.

This is why I literally daily a Thinkpad X230T from over 10 years ago, and I do not regret it.
And speaking of Tablets, yes, Lenovo built a 1.3 inch (or over 2 inches, if you dock it) thick tablet that, I don’t mind carrying around. With expansion you have no idea of, including a SATA 2.5 inch, a mSATA slot, and Expresscard, or full VGA/DisplayPort. It weighs 2 kilos (without the dock, with big battery), and somehow that’s lighter than my plastic-frame Dell.

I don’t know about $2K (about retail price for X230T, or most 2 in 1), but I will definitely consider that over any surface.

Didn’t see the Twitter thread, but just to return to the idea of repairable toasters, this seems like an idea that you could take and run with:

1 Like

I dont know if. this has been brought up - but cellphones.
a few years ago Motorola teased Project Ara that would modularize the cellphone and make components user replaceable. Then google bought the company, stripped that patent, and sold the rest of the company off.
I honestly think we need Cellphones that are upgradable. the amount of ewaste phones i have at my work office is stupid.

5 Likes

Framework approved filament/resin/paint. As in color match approved by Framework for DIY builds of expansion cards and bays, etc. Would be nice to have filament and/or paint colors matched for 3D printers and makers. Not necessarily made by Framework though. Could be a partnership with an external company.

9 Likes

These are all ones I would actively be interested in purchasing:
Printer.
Coffee machine.
Smoothie maker.
Washing machine & dryer. In fact, my university is actively looking for a new vendor for 8 years down the line. Current machines do NOT fully cater to what university students and university staff are looking for.

Touchscreen.
EGPU.

Headset.
Mouse.
Smart watch.
Router.

3 Likes

I fully agree! Modular printers with huge ink tanks and open source software. That would be a fever dream of every person who ever interacted with printers these days.

2 Likes

I would say Prusa, but then you do have to put things together, even though it’s not a ramshackle mess of aluminum extrusions.

Repairable toasters already exist. White Dualit | 3 Slice Vario Toaster | Classic Toaster | ...
We have one. Changed the elements and the timer control. Just need a screwdriver. I expect to hand it down.

4 Likes