What should we build next?

Yoga laptop. Or be the cool kid from the 2010s and make rotating screen laptop.

Hinge durability doesn’t really mean anything if they are easily replaceable

1 Like

There are a lot of data protection phones already! Modularity might be interesting to have though in a phone from a company besides Fairphone.

2 Likes

Hey,

I thought of some ideas for you to potentially use in the future. Thought I’d float some of them here:

• You could add some built in adjustable feet to the bottom laptop cover. This would allow users to prop up their laptops more easily for better ergonomics, and also would make cooling easier. Here is an example product that is already on the market: Laptop Rubber Feet
  • The cooling on the Framework 13, and a lot of other thin and light laptops, can leave a lot to be desired sometimes. Some easy solutions involve propping up the laptop with a riser and/or using a vertical laptop stand. An even better idea would be to create a vertical laptop stand with a fan that would cool the Framework laptop even further. This would allow the laptop to run for a long time at close to full capacity, for example when gaming or doing computationally intensive work such as simulations. Here is an example cooling stand: Cooling Dock Dx – SVALT. Of course, SVALT is charging an arm and a leg, but it seems like they have a good idea and a unique product.
  • You could also make a modular Thunderbolt 4 dock for us to use with the Framework Laptop. This might include expansion card slots, power delivery (i.e., laptop charging), a slot for an external gpu, m.2 storage slots, and/or an expansion bay similar to the one that will be in the Framework 16. This could be combined with the cooling dock as well, or just make the whole thing a collection of modules to assemble.
  • You could add more display options for the next Framework laptop. For example, a 4K display and/or a touchscreen display would be useful to have on the 16 inch laptop.

Happy to hear your thoughts!

2 Likes

That takes a 16 inch gpu module to make a really compact egpu, that would be pretty neat.

Thinking about what piece of technology needs a return to repairability the most, it’s obviously the smartphone. Removable battery, repairable ports and screens, and omg if you bring back a physical keyboard…

The tricky part will of course be doing this while maintaining qualities like IP ratings, size, and weight which are much easier to achieve by gluing everything together with zero intention of ever taking it apart again. I’m willing to compromise on that, even if it means smaller screens and lower IP ratings. I quite enjoyed the smaller, but thicker form factor of old phones like the Droid 4. Phones nowadays basically require two hands to use!

While we’re waiting for that pipe dream, though, how about touchscreens for the laptops? :wink:

2 Likes

My friends used to rock "laptop cooler"s that effectively pulls/pushes air from the laptop’s side vents for more airflow (And better cooling). I think someone called them “afterburners”, but I think we can have a similar system for framework. intrigued to see how the cooling work on the 16 inch.

This may turn the internal fan into a windmill that generates power. The mainboard must have the according protection, or it may be damaged by voltage from an unplanned source.

2 Likes

hot mainboards can get a little overcharge, as a treat :blush:

I do believe a Docking station would be amazing. A modular dock has been a long time wish of mine. While most people just expect more ports, I wish I could have a “laptop extension block”, one with an extra battery and extra storage. Since hot/swap storage is problematic, a light weight OS running a NAS would be nice. Oh well, once gone all the way there, let’s add an eInk display to double as a smart desk display/clock :wink:

I am also sure that long time customers will accumulate redundant expansion cards which could be reused for the dock.

Probably this will get very close to the desktop case for the motherboard, but I do not think it is currently that easy to turn the whole thing into a dock (like forwarding the video signal of the laptop). Also the cpu needs do not demand the power / volume of a whole motherboard

1 Like

A dumb TV with a great display and remote, and without all the “smart” nonsense. I use only HDMI and Chromecast input anyway.

6 Likes

@Geert_Schuring Alas, I’ve decided the viable path forward is to just buy a large-format monitor. I know of at least one or two monitors that use the same panel as the LG C2.

One thing I’ve looked for and haven’t found yet is a clear plastic clip-on outer shell protector for the laptop case itself, something like this one made for MacBook Air machines.

I like to get these for a couple reasons – protection for the laptop if it gets dropped, etc., as well as a removable surface upon which to sticker away the laptop, then get another one and start over once it’s full. It would be great if Framework offered one for sale as an accessory that was made to fit on the laptops they make.

4 Likes

@CodeAndData yeah…I want something like that too, many on here do actually.

1 Like

This would be amazing, and I could definitely get behind this idea!

you can re-utilize your old framework motherboard to do that!
Well, not directly, but you can adapt the m.2 slot to PCIe and have a PCIe storage controller card (or just split it into multiple NVMe SSDs)
It’s going to be massive jank without like customized PCB, cable and housing, but it’s doable.
And the 13 inch display can be … well, kinda up to you.

This is a great idea, it would be really nice to stick a bunch of stickers on without having to risk damage to the laptop. I’ve got a hefty amount of brand stickers lying around. I wonder if there’s a custom shop for it somewhere?

Into the portable enclosure they might make it goes XD

1 Like

As others have said:

• Phone (personally very interested on this)
  • Printer (I would not buy it, but i can see enough interest in it).
  • Game controller (would pair well with 16" gpu extension)
  • earbuds for IEMs
  • Speakers, bluetooth and normal

Also, another interesting area would be Home Automation, but I’m not sure how modular it can be made.

One part that I can imagine that can be made modular are wall switches: the microcontroller part inside with zigbee, matter, ethernet, whatever, and then different kinds of cover that can be switched, from normal typical wall switches to a small touchscreen that can recognize gestures, to just different colors and designs.

Another could be a remote with touchscreen to control TV, lights, curtains, music and anything really.

As other mentioned, air purifiers.

4 Likes
  • Repairable Printer/Scanner
  • NAS (designed enclosure plus rack for the storage)
  • Opensource Tablet
  • Raspberry Pi competitor with modular approach
  • Opensource accessories like Keyboard, Mice, Webcam, external and portable display etc. with open software

Why not a repairable and modular 3-in-1 3D printer/CNC/laser for the DIY sake !

2 Likes

Option 1: I’d say first-party accessories to the framework.

So something like logitech’s unifying receiver with support for

• keyboard
  • mouse
  • wireless headset/headphones

Option 2: A surface-styled touchscreen -only or 360-hinged FW

option 3: self-hosted smart home network. So things like smart lights , speakers etc are managed locally with restricted internet access

1 Like