When will Framework support all these newer components I’ve found?

When will an option for an Intel Core i7 1375pre or an Intel core ultra 9 185h be available. Likewise, when will an option for an AMD Ryzen 9 8945hs or an AMD Ryzen 7 8840u be available. I would also like to ask about possible arm options, namely a Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite or a Nvidia Tegra Orin or Tegra Thor when that chip launches. I would also like to ask about the possibility to put ultra fast LPDDR5T 9600 M/Ts from SK Hynix on a laptop sodimm daughter board to ensure that the processor is as efficient as possible. Also when will Samsung 990 Pro SSDs be officially supported? When will an option for a stock american megatrends aptio v UEFI be officially supported, along with putting the Intel ME into high assurance mode?

There won’t be an option for the Ryzen 8040 series at all, as framework has stated they will be skipping that generation due to minimal differences to the current generation 7040s

2 Likes

LPDDR and SODIMM at the same time is not possible, there are no SODIMMS with LPDDR memory. Let alone from a specific manufacturer

Plenty of threads discussing ARM/alternate CPU vendors if you care to look

I highly encourage you to put some more research into your requests/inquiries

5 Likes

The 1375pre is intended for embedded applications such as kiosks. The closest equivalent intended for laptops is the 1370p, which Framework already offers in the Framework Laptop 13.

The 8945hs is the exact same as the 7940hs (already offered in the Framework Laptop 16) just with a slightly faster NPU (AI processor).

The 8840u is the exact same as the 7840u (already offered in the Framework Laptop 13) just with a slightly faster NPU (AI processor).

Framework has already stated that neither will be offered due to being too small of an upgrade.

LPDDR5x requires very little signal degradation occuring between the CPU and the memory. SODIMM modules cause too much degradation for LPDDR5x to work.

New alternatives to SODIMM such as CAMM2 will theoretically improve this and enable LPDDR5x to be used. Although those have yet to be produced at scale and I doubt Framework would switch to CAMM2 before modules are widely available.

Modern processors are rated to handle LPDDR5x at 7500 MT/s. Achieving 9600 within the foreseeable would require pushing past what processors are rated to handle, which likely would work but based on historical patterns I doubt Framework will do so.

1 Like

Yes, but the 1375pre supports ecc memory and would work well as a workstation. Combined with an Intel W790 chipset it would be the most enterprise grade laptop on the market, with ecc memory enhancing the memory safety of the OS against random chance. ECC memory works great for how I play video games, although I would rather have an Intel Core Ultra 9 185HRE or Ryzen 9 8945HS even if I would prefer a Core Ultra 9 185HRE or Ryzen Pro 8945HS respectively.

The Mediatek Dimensity 9300 supports LPDDR5T 9600 M/Ts and UFS 4.0 with MCQ respectively. Time for Intel and AMD to catch up. Although the lower power draw of the 8840u and 8945HS make it a compelling upgrade due to the die shrink alone. I stand by my assumption that the Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite and the Nvidia Tegra Orin would make great laptop chips. Forget windows, don’t let Microsoft hold up progress in the computer industry with their refusal to support windows on arm64 on non Qualcomm chips. Fedora Workstation and Ubuntu Desktop support arm v8, v8.2, v9 and v9.2, cryptography extensions, helium floating point units, Mali GPUs, PowerVR GPUs, Videocore GPUs and so on.

I can’t tell if this is a troll or not, but it’s amusing how much you know about products, but how little you know about product development? In any case, I’ll respond to it with what I know.
Mediatek supports it LPDDR5T because the RAM die is right on top of the chip itself; minimum distance. UFS 4.0 is not faster than modern PCIe based storage (at least sequentially).
NVidia Tegra is by no means meant to be a personal computer CPU, and Snapdragon X Elite’s release date is completely unclear as of now, as is it’s Linux support. It seems early to ask about Snapdragon X Elite half a year before it even officially releases.

Overall, I’m actually quite curious to hear why you’re so interested in ARM (to me it’s just another proprietary ISA).

Note: 7840U and 8840U are on the same node (4nm TSMC, at least from what techpowerup tells me).

3 Likes

I want to note that many of your requests are for upgrades that would lead to the most performant laptop ever, which has not really been Frameworks focus. They are still a new company, so it’s hard for them to release top of the line products at a competitive price, and they also aren’t really able to release the newest tech right as it releases. Most of their laptops release with processors that are already half a year old. They are working directly with Intel and AMD, but they are not yet either company’s biggest customer, so they have settled into their niche of having mid-range hardware that they can ensure is repairable and upgradeable. I’m sure that in the future they want to expand their offerings, but building a company from scratch is not easy, especially with established competition like Apple, Dell, Lenovo, etc. So I’d guess that as far as the technologies you’ve mentioned in this thread, Framework won’t be able to offer them anytime soon, but we can all hope they are able to grow and be able to get technologies this advanced earlier as they continue to grow and mature!

AFAIK the new core ultras, performance wise, surpass the 7040HS and 8040HS only if there is plenty of power, like >50W or even 70W as advertised in product brochures of some Lenovo thin and light laptops in China. According to the review of MSI Claw by Tom’s Hardware, R7 7840U can deliver ~2x fps <= 30W, so the future MTL framework 13 will be less powerful performance-wise.
For the ARM chips like the SD X Elite, even the big players don’t have a laptop with this chip on sale yet. The sooner CAMM got widely available, the sooner Framework can dive into the ARM world.
For the Mediatek stuff, I know maybe you are a fan of Geekerwan (so do I), but UFS 4.0 still cannot compete with the existing PCIe 4x4 speed wise. They just belong to two different weight classes and are not meant to compete directly except in the case of iPhones. Also, high transmit rate of LPDDR isn’t for all use cases, according to Lenovo. Their new core ultra laptops in China will dynamically clock down the onboard memory from 7467MT/s to 5600MT/s to lower the latency in case of some games like LoL.

2 Likes