Why have a clear keyboard?

@JP3692 I’m pretty sure they have both ISO and ANSI clear keyboard layouts. https://frame.work/ca/en/marketplace/keyboards

1 Like

They do, but those are for the 13, I’m after one for the 16, which only lists ANSI.

ah i thought they are the same for both models given that it does not mention

I think all items in the marketplace, that are not expansions, ram or ssds, are for the 13. You can order an ISO clear keyboard with the 13, but only the ANSI with the 16.

Where did you order these from? Are they generic or sized for the keyboard?

I think these are the only ones known that have the option of being exactly sized List of company or individually driven projects - #17 by MJ1

I’m planning to do a risky thing for the keyboard when I get mine: Sharpie + a spray of clear coat :rofl:

I wanted the RGB + Linux option, but I also want to customize the layout as well, so I figured why not?

I ordered them from Keyshorts. They are supposed to be custom sized exactly for the Framework 13 Keyboard.

Would it be possible to switch the keycaps for the function keys and keep the rest blank ?

Framework has said that the keycaps are not designed to be removed. Which is normal for laptop keys, I believe. A few people have tried anyway, some have had success, others have broken keys.

Do you mean switch the function keys to non blank? If so, you can get black stickers from Keyshorts and put them just on the function keys if you want. Then you’d have sort of normal looking function keys and the rest blank.

1 Like

Yes

Ah perfect that’s what I need !

On their site, it says the custom set for the Framework keyboard comes with all keys, but to contact them if you want to leave some blank. I just ordered a full set and will only put on the ones I want.

@BigT do you remember how you ordered your keyshorts keycaps? Did you end up paying $90+ for “perfect fit”, transparent background, black letters, and choose a custom language and fill out their template for how to label keys? Seems like a heck of a lot of money that ought to be be somewhat commonly desired.

I tried selecting their “English [US]” language and it doesn’t even appear to come with the special keys, just letters. All I care about is special keys, not letters.

If you’re able to share a pic of how your keycaps look with the backlight on that would be helpful to me personally.

I’m seeing more discussion in Keycap stickers for the clearcap options and Blank Keyboard - how to adapt for its use? and What is the best way to create custom layout, but nothing is definitively what I’m looking for.

@Micah_Lindstrom It was a bit expensive, but it wasn’t $90. Here are the details from my order:
Fit: perfect fit
Brand: Other
PC Model: Framework 13
Device Enter: US
Background type: transparent
1st Language Windows: English (United States) [US]
1st Language Position: upper left
1st Language Color: black

It was $62. It came with stickers for all the keys on the keyboard, including all the special characters. Still awfully expensive, especially since I really only wanted the special characters, but I liked that it would be custom fit for the FW 13 keys and I decided to try it out. I haven’t actually put any of the stickers on yet because I had fewer issues without any labels than I expected. But I still plan to put the top two rows of stickers on (function and number rows), mostly because once in a while I want to reach out and just press one of those keys and without the muscle memory of my hands being on the keys, it takes me a moment to remember what key is what, so I’d like to have those labels on there.

I’ll try to put them on sometime this week and will post a picture.

4 Likes

My only reason for getting the blank keyboard is to avoid the awful “Windows” key. Has anyone been able to customize one key like that for keyshorts? I have sent two inquiries to keyshorts about ordering a set like this for the blank RGB 16 keyboard but they have ignored me both times.

I asked something similar and got the following semi-clear answer :
« Unfortunately, we can’t use Debian logo. In case of Windows logo it’s a different story because the logo is already there and for such purpose it’s ok to print it. »

I didn’t insist but the summary seems to be : no they don’t make custom logo keys.

2 Likes

well that just shatters my plans :smiley: Guess that key is remaining blank for the time being.

probably so you can feel like this:

I have a blank HHKB keyboard, you get used to it after a while.

1 Like

I finally got around to putting on the function row and number row stickers. I imagine I’ll leave them on, but I’m glad I didn’t put them on the letters. The feel of the stickers is okay, but I can feel the edges of the stickers as my fingers slide around the keys. I imagine I’d get used to it, but I do prefer the feel of the keys without the little edge created by the stickers.

The labels show up better in person than they do in the picture, even without the backlight on.

5 Likes