Windows 11 install on FW 16 asking for drivers

• Which OS (Operating System)?
    • Windows
  • Which release of your OS (Operating System / Windows 10, 11)? (if you are having a Linux related issue, please create your thread under the Linux subcategory)
  • Which Framework laptop (11th, 12th or 13th generation Framework laptop, Chromebook or Framework Laptop 16) are you asking for support with?
    • Framework Laptop 16

Essentially, I’m trying to install Windows 11 on this system, without access to another Windows system at the moment. The FAQ guide says to use Rufus, but that’s not available on Linux, and I’m using Fedora 40 on the laptop. I’ve tried Balena etcher, the Fedora built-in boot device thing, and Ventoy, and all of these cause the same issue where the Windows installer stops right after you hit the “install now” button and says it can’t find drivers for hardware. It doesn’t specify what hardware as far as I can tell, just that it’s missing a driver and can’t find it. I’ll have access to another Windows computer sometime but I also want an answer to this, maybe it’ll help someone in a similar situation later.

EDIT: I don’t know if it makes a difference, but I also have the clear RGB keyboard and RGB macro pad connected. I don’t have spacers right now, but I’ve ordered some to just try it with the keyboard. I don’t see exactly how either of them would cause this, but I also know sometimes things are just like that.

Thanks!

I’m not sure if you can install it without Rufus.
This is mainly because you need internet access to sign in to your Microsoft account and that’s something you can bypass using Rufus.

But, if you have access to an ethernet adaptor, you could use that to have a wired connection and proceed with the installation.

I tested this using the ethernet card, and it worked perfectly.

Edit: You could also try using VirtualBox and maybe create the USB using that :slightly_smiling_face:

Also you can propably tether from your phone with usb

I never tried this.
This sounds like the perfect solution!

Well

1. See this for rufus
    How to Install Rufus on Linux: Step-by-Step Guide for Users - Byte Bite Bit

2. Install windows with the ‘almost hidden’ [local accoun]t option