FW16 Win11 Install via Linux Frustration

Which Linux distro are you using? Bazzite

Which release version? Bazzite 40
(if rolling release without a release version, skip this question)

(If rolling release, last date updated?)

Which kernel are you using?

Which BIOS version are you using?

Which Framework Laptop 16 model are you using? (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series)

I used Fedora Media Writer to create my boot media because Rufus only works in Windows. I downloaded the drivers for the Wifi module, but it’s in an EXE that won’t execute under WINE. Can I please get the drivers in a zip or other format? Please? Or a Linux alternative to Rufus that allows me to create install media with the same workaround?

I tend to use the startup disk creator and do it manually.
But you may want to try out: GitHub - WoeUSB/WoeUSB: A Microsoft Windows® USB installation media preparer for GNU+Linux
There are many tutorials available for that on the net.

1 Like

cant you install the wifi drivers after installing windows (isnt that what you are supposed to do anyway)? trying to install windows drivers under linux is impossible, save for a few very specific exceptions (windows xp era network card drivers can be loaded and ran with reduced performance using some program i forgot the name of)

(remember that you can install windows 11 without a network connection using OOBE\BYPASSNRO. there are many tutorials online for how to do it)

No, I can’t. They removed that. I even tried using a non-US version, but no luck.

To expand a bit, I’m using Bazzite Linux. I also have macOS on another (M1) system, and an old laptop with Linux Mint on it. I have an external DVD drive with an old Win 7 AIO install, but I can’t get either non-Mac laptop to boot from that drive. I am having the worst luck. I really haven’t mucked around deeply in systems since UEFI became standard over BIOS, and it’s really a PITA to not know what I’m doing.

I used the Fedora Media Writer with the Windows 11 International ISO from Microsoft. I tried adding files to that USB after running this, but I don’t have permission. I really gotta get back into Linux mode more fully so I can do these kinds of things without so much trouble. I just don’t know what permissions I need to change. That said, I can figure that out later, as I don’t even have the proper file to put on there now.

The driver package from Framework only even runs on an AMD system, so I tried using a friend’s work laptop to run it with no luck. Once again, can I please have a non-EXE wrapped driver package? I’m pretty sure it’s easier to just zip a bunch of files than it is to put an installation wrapper around them…

All of this effort and wasted time, and I just need to run Packet Tracer for a class, FFS. Something I can do on my Macbook, I just didn’t want to. I’m sick of that thing. Once I get more familiar with my Framework/Linux setup, I’m replacing macOS with Asahi completely.

I will also try WoeUSB (thanks Jorg_Mertin) at some point, but I have to actually do my school work, parent, and do chores.

One last time, though: I would be extremely grateful to Framework if I could download the drivers I need in a format that is usable to me. Please and thank you!

Sure you can. You can even install windows without the required MS account. I mean that is the only option as Windows media doesn’t have the needed deivers dor the wifi. Other option is ro ise tethering from tour phone with USB cable

I have used Ventoy to install Windows on multiple machines.

What I’ve tried hasn’t worked. I haven’t tried Ventoy, though. I have tried using my phone as a USB drive, which it wouldn’t recognize. I can give it a shot as a tethered device, but I doubt it will work and I don’t have time right now. I might have a USB wifi dongle somewhere that should work, too. In the past, these scenarios were much simpler to deal with, and I’m frustrated. I’m on a time crunch here. The main issue, by far, is Microsoft screwing around with users, but I would really appreciate being able to get the drivers I need more easily.

They definitely did not. It is still present in all install media, even for the insider build 26100.

2 Likes

The driver package (e.g. Framework_Laptop_13_and_16_AMD_Ryzen_7040_driver_bundle_W11__2024_04_02.exe) is an archive wrapped in an exe depacker. You can just open it in your Linux file manager by selecting “open with - archive management” or some such and depack the contents. This will produce a couple files and folders, including one suspiciously named “WiFi_3.3.0.908”. If the windows installer is still able to load drivers from an USB stick, put these depacked folders there and try again.
The last Windows I had the displeasure to install was Windows 7, so my knowledge likely is very outdated.

3 Likes

What I do is spin up a VM, then I install windows in that VM.

In that VM, I install “Rufus” and use it to create a windows boot media. Using that I disable the network and MS account nonsense.

3 Likes

I just tried the OOBE\BYPASSNRO thing in command prompt. Sorry, it doesn’t work. As many sites specify, it has not worked since 22H2.

(Edited to remove my bad attitude.)

Here’s how it should work! (video). Recorded today with 23H2.

EDITed significantly to remove rebuking content and for tone.

5 Likes

@DHowett 's video is showing it works. It can fail though sometimes if you do not open the command prompt at the right time in the installer.

Other options:

1. Download the Linux version of Packet Tracer (the one from Cisco right? or does Ubuntu versions not work on the favor of Linux you are using?)
  2. Spin up a VM on your Linux environment and install Windows 11; heck you could probably get Windows 10 to work for that matter.
  3. Use your Macbook for the one assignment, then figure it out at some other time.
  4. Remote into your aging Macbook (which is not that old) just to run this one old utility.
  5. Buy a used PC for $75 and stick it in a closet then remote into the thing for these one off times when you have to have a native Windows environment to run a specific program for a class.
  6. Buy an Intel AX210 WiFi card and install it on your Framework 16 since that has native drivers for Windows 11.

Do not believe the latest media articles about installing Windows 11 without a Microsoft account is now impossible; it is low hanging fruit for clicks.

2 Likes

Sorry, y’all. That was definitely rude. Thanks for the help. I’ll edit that so there’s not such a crappy tone in an otherwise helpful thread.

3 Likes

I’ll edit mine as well. That was very upstanding of you. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

if you still cant get OOBE\BYPASSNRO to work you could maybe try a usb network card of some kind if you have one lying around (e.g. those ax88179 usb ethernet cards will probably be good enough for the initial setup even if they arent always the most stable. ive also used an “edimax” branded low-profile usb wifi card that i initially purchased for use with a raspberry pi and found that drivers for it were included under windows 10 by default)

this of course assumes you have usb network cards lying around (which you may not)

also i think rufus has an option to enable bypassing the network check in the windows installer when you use it to write your windows installer to a usb drive. this of course assumes you have a friend with a windows pc who is willing to let you borrow it to run rufus, although maybe there is a way to run it from within a windows installer (theres probably some rather hacky way to do it from the rescue menu or something)