Windows Freezing and Slow Performance on Framework 13 (AMD)

Hi everyone,

I’m experiencing a frustrating issue with my Framework 13 laptop (AMD) running Windows. After my laptop wakes up from hibernation, Windows freezes and becomes very slow. It takes a long time to open any programs, and even the Task Manager takes up to a minute to open.

However, if I reboot the laptop, it works perfectly fine again. I have the latest Windows updates, Framework drivers, and BIOS installed.

I’ve made a short screen recording to show how long it takes to open the Task Manager after hibernation. Has anyone else encountered this issue, or does anyone have suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Can you try opening to the performance tab of Task Manager, or installing a System Monitoring software? Please also provide some system specifications such as CPU, RAM, SSD, DIY or Prebuilt.

If it is a DIY version and you did not buy the memory and storage from Framework, please list some concise details on what model RAM and SSD you are using.

The issue is easy to see, but we need the sensor data to identify the problem.

Also do you have any modifications to Windows installed? From the video I can see that things like taskbar are blank and you have a System Monitor in your taskbar. These modifications could be consuming significant system resources.

Try booting into safe mode and seeing if your issue is resolved, or reinstalling windows if you are okay with that. Make sure to backup your drive beforehand.

It is possible either your applications are consuming significant system resources, or that the laptop is having overheating issues and throttling back the CPU significantly. If you see very low clock speeds, this is a likely sign that the CPU is overheating. Make sure that you are in the right performance profile, and that you have not set any custom CPU limiting settings.

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

The SSD is: Solidigm™ P44 Pro Series 2TB
The Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws SO-DIMM 64GB (2 x 32GB) 262-Pin DDR5 SO-DIMM DDR5 5600 (PC5 44800) Laptop Memory Model F5-5600S4040A32GX2-RS
I got the DIY model with the AMD Ryzen™ 7 7840U

Here is a screenshot of the performance tab. I rebooted it before, so now it works. But I checked that before, and there is no high CPU load or throttling. What monitoring software would you recommend?

I don’t have any modifications, I just recorded part of the desktop because I have files I didn’t want to share online. The system monitor I have is also on my desktop PC and I don’t have any issue there and the CPU there is 5 years older.

Thanks!

I would recommend HWiNFO64 for monitoring your temps and checking to see whether it reports any throttling in the CPU section. Although as you said, this doesn’t seem to be the case.

I suspect the problem is then either your memory or your SSD. Can you go to the memory tab of Task Manager and check what speed your memory is running at? As far as I know, the memory you purchased uses XMP to reach the 5600Mhz advertised clock speed. This means that it is likely dropping down to a lower speed as Framework only supports JEDEC speeds.

Next to check the SSD, you can install a monitoring software like CrystalDiskInfo and checking the wear level of your SSD. Please post a screenshot of this if you can. Also CrystalDiskInfo reports the serial number of your SSD, so if you want to hide it I believe there is a submenu for you to do that.

Lastly, try opening another application after opening Task Manager in the Performance tab when the computer gets very slow. See if anything is spiking up such as your disk. This can help identify the problem. If you see it spike, please attempt to take a screenshot of it.

Hi,

thanks for the tips. The Laptop is slow again. Here are the screenshots from the different screens you mentioned. They all look ok. I maybe have to reinstall Windows.
It’s also not overheating, the fan is not even on.

At this point it doesn’t seem like there is anything wrong with any of the hardware components in your device. I am 90% sure this is a software issue.

Did you clone the drive from another device or did this start out as a fresh Windows install?Windows has become better at removing old drivers but I would check to make sure that you don’t have any old drivers lingering. If it is a fresh install then you do not have to worry about this.

Before you reinstall Windows, there are some things that you could try. If you are willing, you can show a screenshot of the startup apps you have enabled, and maybe someone on the forums can tell if they can be known to slow down your device. Otherwise, I would start by just disabling all of them except for ones provided by Microsoft. See if your computer slows down if all of these processes are disabled.

Another possibility that could cause this would be BitLocker if you have it enabled. It is known to slow down some SSDs significantly, so if you want to turn it off, you can unless you require drive encryption.