Windows not locating drivers on Framework 13 DIY AMD

I have a Framework 13 AMD Ryzen 7040 and I opted for Windows 11 when I bought the device. I’m moving from MacOS, so it was a little complicated but I was able to get the Windows installer up and running. However, the computer won’t acknowledge any of my drivers. I have made sure they are the drivers from framework’s website. Regardless, the laptop won’t pick up any divers (I tried intel drivers just to see) on an SSD or Flash Drive. Both were formatted to ExFAT so I’m a little lost. I did put UBUNTU on the laptop after my failed attempts just to see if it worked and that works fine. I have attached pictures of the error and flash drive.

Use the partition manager, create a partition and format it with a valid filesystem?

Hi and welcome

You should just be able to click on the download and all relevant drivers should be automatically installed, it’s an automatic executable file, so just click on it once it’s downloaded.

1 Like

You cannot load the Framework drivers during setup.

You typically only need to load drivers during setup if you have an unusual storage situation and Windows can’t find your main hard drive.

If you are unable to find your NVMe drive on the Framework Laptop, it is not due to missing drivers. Try booting without Ventoy (its disk emulation makes the Windows installer unable to detect the main drive.)

Once you’ve installed Windows, then you can install the drivers.

2 Likes

The NVMe does appear when I hit browse, and I didn’t use Vetony to create a bootable. I used a series of commands I found online, then balenaEtcher when I ran into this error. Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by unusual storage situation? It also seems as though I have an out of date BIOS version (3.03 instead of 3.05). I assume this would need to be updated but I don’t know if Frameworks have a UEFI option.

Also coming from OS X, and just got mine working. I tried various things, including unpacking the driver bundles using 7z for mac and putting those on another thumb drive. It never helped.

Turns out the problem was with the thumb drive itself, which I created using an ISO conversion tool on OS X.

I solved my issues by using the Windows installer creation tool on an old bootcamp machine to create a replacement installer. Although I read the framework Windows 11 setup guide for AMD mainboards, I did things a little differently.

I didn’t want to bother with installing and using Rufus, so I removed the wifi module temporarily and was able to go through the install using the ethernet expansion card. Other forum posts have suggested that just using the ethernet module itself might be enough.

Yes I figured out something similar. Mac OS just doesn’t have the right files to properly create a bootable. After doing it on a Windows device I didn’t have a problem.