Windows touchpad features on Linux

One of the things I really like about the windows touchpad drivers, is that when your finger reaches the edge of the pad, there is software in place that allows the cursor to keep moving in the direction you were moving reaching the edge. This allows you to resize, drag and drop things, and generally not be burdened by the size of the touchpad.

Is anyone familiar with a package that allows this same behavior on Linux?

1 Like

I don’t know of a ready made solution for that specific behavior, but I think libinput gestures would be a good place to start.

Try downloading Touchegg and its configuration UI, Touche.

I personally have mine set up for Mac OS style … not for any reason other than the fact that I’ve never had a Windows trackpad for gestures in the past. :thinking:

Touche will let you configure any 3-4 finger gestures as well as pinches for 2, 3, and 4 fingers. 2-finger swipes (I believe) are captured directly by gnome, so you’re not allowed to remap them in Touche, but you may be able to remap them using lower level config tools. I think xdotool will handle 2-finger stuff.

Touche allows desktop level and per-app configs, which is cool

1 Like

Curse you @2disbetter - I never knew I desperately need this functionality until I read your post and realized this was why I was having such trouble dragging & dropping things ever since I switched from Windows to Linux! It’s so interesting that such a small thing that I was totally unaware of made such a big difference in usability for me.

Has anyone developed this functionality for Linux (it seems like Touchegg is not the level of abstraction needed?)

If anyone is working on it, I’d love to know more here too: https://github.com/linuxtouchpad/discussion/discussions/4