WSL2 randomly locks CPU at 100%

I’m having an issue on my 11th Gen (i7-1165G7 @2.8 GHz) where some process running under WSL2 will locks all available CPU cores at 100%. It pops up randomly and when it happens, all WSL2 processes are totally unusable. I can’t even run ps or top to tell what Linux process is responsible.

It used to render the Windows layer unusable too and required a hard shut down with the hardware power button. I’ve since reduced the CPU cores available to WSL2 as a workaround. I still need to restart to get it to stop but at least I can gracefully shut down my Windows processes first.

The issue is totally unpredictable. Sometimes the laptop is fine but I never know when it’s going to happen again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I still love my Framework but I need WSL2 working reliably for it to be my daily driver.

1 Like

Here’s some info about my WSL2 setup in case that’s helpful

PS C:\Users\rafe> wsl -l
Windows Subsystem for Linux Distributions:
Ubuntu (Default)
PS C:\Users\rafe> wsl --version
WSL version:
Kernel version:
WSLg version: 1.0.45
MSRDC version: 1.2.3575
Direct3D version: 1.606.4
DXCore version:
Windows version: 10.0.22621.674

I was having a similar issue, with the CPU ramping up to 100% usage (Same CPU, Windows 11)
A full restart would enable WSL to work again, but as soon as i put the laptop to sleep and woke it, i saw the same behaviour again.
Updating WSL by running wsl --update in powershell fixed the problem for me and it hasn’t happened since. I notice i’m using a slightly newer WSL version to you so it might be the same problem, but as my symptoms were quite predictable there may be something else at play.


So right after posting this I noticed that there was a BIOS update available. I installed it and that seems to have fixed the issue