Framework Gen12 WSL2 problem

New Framework gen12 laptop with Windows 11 Pro

Framework drivers bundle installed.
Framework_Laptop_12th_Gen_Intel_Core_driver_bundle_W11_2022_07_26

Virtualization is enabled in the BIOS

Windows features required for WSL2 and Docker are enabled.

Docker and Ubunto with WSL2 fail to execute

(note that data execution protection is enabled)

Ubuntu 20.04.5

Framework support suggests this is an issue with Docker, which I find hard to agree with. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

Did you follow the diagnostic steps?

I did. No luck despite trying those instructions.

To point out, the issue is not just with Docker but with WSL2. Docker uses WSL2 to execute, and w/o it working properly, it quits. And I’ve tried everything to sort out WSL, but it fails when executed (wsl --install -d Ubuntu) with the following error:

This leads me to think there’s something off about my laptop rather than a general issue. It would be nice if others with Gen12 Framework using WSL2 could confirm or deny my assumption.

I have been using WSL2 with Ubuntu 22.04 on a 12th gen framework with Windows 11 Pro without any problems, although I am not using Docker or the Windows Hypervisor Platform. My settings are otherwise the same as yours.

1 Like

Some progress - I’ve managed to get the WSL2 going

Docker is still barfing.

Report what was done.

I uninstalled WSL and used the command line rather than Windows App Store to install it.
Additionally, enabled Hyper-V in Windows features

You missed Hyper-V in Windows features to begin with?

Yes, that was a dumb mistake on my part.
But since WSL2 is now working, I’m assuming virtualization is OK and it’s Docker for Windows that is acting up. Will try removing it and installing again, removing all the files it leaves in %appdata%/Docker after first.

Interesting enough, the latest version of Docker shouldn’t require Hyper-V if it uses WSL2. Which, I’d think, would mean WSL2 shouldn’t require Hyper-V either.

My hypothesis is that my WSL was messed up to begin with and by re-installing it I fixed it.

But Docker, re-installing it didn’t help. Getting that annoying error after reinstall :disappointed:

I’ve confirmed in two ways that there’s an issue with the laptop/BIOS and not a docker problem.

Hypervisor reported as not present

When using Coreinfo by SysInternals. Specifically, it shows wherever a hypervisor is detected or not. When I ran it on my system, the report detected no hypervisor.

Running a Hyper-VM VM

As per Framework support, I’ve tried creating a new Hyper-V VM, and it failed with this error

I’ll update this thread once hear from Framework support.

Did you check the Hyper-V services? (Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management)

Is Data Execution Prevention (DEP) enabled in the BIOS? (Disclaimer: I still don’t have my Framework laptop, so possibly this setting doesn’t exist)

Run „bcdedit“ and check if the „hypervisorlaunchtype“ is set to auto, if not run „bcdedit /set hypervisortlaunchtype auto“ and reboot.

I assume you’re talking about the Windows feature? It’s been enabled.

That’s not exposed in Framework BIOS.

It’s already at auto

No, I meant Windows services: Win+R => services.msc
There are a lot of services starting with Hyper-V and a service called “HV Host Service”.
The startype of them should be set to “Manual (Trigger Start)”
The “HV Host Service” should be running.

It matches what you’ve described

Weird …
Did you check the Eventlog for errors? Maybe we can find there something which leads us to the cause of this problem.

Thank you! I’ve forgotten about system event logs entirely. When filtered on Errors only, I found these peculiar entry:

Hypervisor launch failed; Secure Mode Extensions have been enabled by the BIOS. Please disable Secure Mode Extensions in the BIOS to launch Hyper-V.

Also this:

The virtualization-based security enablement policy check at phase 0 failed with status: Virtual Secure Mode (VSM) is not initialized. The hypervisor or VSM may not be present or enabled

And also this one that talks about HvHost, which might be related to Hyper-V:

The CmService service depends on the HvHost service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The most interesting was about Secure Mode Extensions enabled in BIOS because I’ve reset the BIOS to the defaults, as instructed by the Framework support. I’ll have to reach out to them with this new information.

Thank you, @mahe, for this suggestion. It enforces my suspicion that it wasn’t Windows 11 at fault and that something else is at play.

Is your BIOS on the latest version?

Is TPM enabled in the BIOS?

As stated in the first error of your last post, check if Secure Mode Extensions (can be named SMX) are disabled in the BIOS.

Also check if all the virtualization features are enabled in the BIOS.

The error with VSM (2nd error you posted) is strange, afaik it can only occur on domain joined devices and usually has something to do with Credential Guard.

Which Windows Edition (Home, Pro, Enterprise, …) and version (feature version, like 21H2) are you running?

Gen12 has only one version, the version it’s shipped with.

Yes. That’s a part of the default BIOS settings.

Framework BIOS is very “primitive”. There’s nothing besides VMX (turned on).

Windows 11 Pro 21H2, build 22000.978, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.978.0