11th Gen BIOS 3.07 + Windows 10 and (11 Alpha) driver bundle

So any news or thoughts on the latest ‘return of Spectre’ and how much performance we may lose with the fixes?

The only refs I can find are 4 years old. Can you link to any recent update that shows your concern

1 Like

Thats just a couple I found that go lightly on the issue. I did read another that was more in-depth but couldnt remember where I found it. It basically said both Intel and AMD have discovered a few more howlers that may require patches…

Might be relevant, might not?!

1 Like

Ah I’m glad I wasn’t imagining it. Sometimes I do wonder…

Holy moly though, that’s like a 2200MBps drop in performance for me.

Maybe it’s worth starting a new thread on your concerns as it’s pretty specific and not related to the 3.07

I remember my Surface Pro 4 took a big hit after the Intel patches back in the day. What is the point now of getting PCIe Gen 4 storage now?

To be honest I never installed the Spectre BIOS updates for my X99 rig and as far as I know…no issues.

On Windows 11, is it better to download the Intel Driver Assistant for new driver updates or let Windows Update install them?

It would be best to install the drivers provided in this thread, or on the support page, for Windows 11. They have been vetted for compatibility with the hardware :slight_smile:

Download the Intel Driver Assistant, I’ve used it on my batch 4 on Windows 10 and 11. It’s the first thing I install. There have been a number of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi updates along with graphics drivers as well.

2 Likes

Currently at the 2.5 weeks mark. Any update on this? Is it still with Insyde, or now back to Framework for release?

Still waiting for the patch from Insyde.

9 Likes

Damn, Insyde is really dropping the ball on this. We’re now 10 weeks into it.

2 Likes

I have to say I probably wont install any more BIOS updates if they contain performance sapping Spectre fixes.

Spectre fixes are handled by the OS iirc. The CVEs Insyde needs to provide fixes for iirc are specifically firmware-land fixes.

Yeah, I think a lot of the last round were BIOS fixes as well as OS updates. I didn’t install the last BIOS for my Asus X99 motherboard as it had a host of Spectre fixes.

Either way, I’ll let you eager beavers go first… :rofl:

On the topic of Windows 11 Alpha drivers: Can we expect to see beta drivers for Win11 soon (whether it’s new / update driver version, or via a ‘status label’ promotion)?

1 Like

It’s now 3 months…a quarter since the CVEs. Insyde is really dropping the ball here…and Framework isn’t releasing any other BIOS fixes in the meantime.

Something isn’t right. Can someone please pick up the ball, and move with it? This is poor progress management…on both sides.

2 Likes

Four complaints in 24 days. You seem rather annoyed. What problems are you having that an ‘urgent’ update may resolve?

That averages out to one follow-up per week. 2 of which were definitely follow-up questions, not complaints.

It’s not urgent if you consider that nothing has been additionally ‘fixed’ and released since end of Dec.

Some issues:

1. Unplugging USB-PD while system is suspended seems to wake up the system.
  2. CPU doesn’t boost to 60W PL2 when battery charge threshold is set to 75% and is being charged.
  3. CVE fixes.
  4. The never ending battery drain issue(s): High Battery Drain During Suspend - Community Support - Framework Community
  5. ACPI table? BIOS bug: _TZ.ETMD missing in ACPI tables - Community Support - Framework Community
  6. Touchpad interrupts & battery usage issues (idma64.2) - Framework Laptop - Framework Community

In short, various power states / sleep / suspend / wake up behaviour seem to need some work / focus.

This was also reported lately:
Firmware instability, ACPI delays - Community Support - Framework Community

Might be related to this:
Having audio issues,huge interrupt load - Community Support - Framework Community

…and still no Thunderbolt certification. I’m not after the certification itself, but more about the lack of certification likely means the implementation isn’t up to scratch. This area seems to lack transparency as to where the laptop is at with the certification process.

I got my unit in Batch 2, so I’m way beyond the honeymoon period and able to really look at the unit as what it really is today (promises and direction aside). Yours is from Batch 8 (Feb), so I understand that you’re still in the “oh, give them some time” camp.

2 Likes