12th Gen 13 suddenly shut off, won't turn back on

OS - Pop 22.04
Framework 12th Gen

So was working happily when I moved my laptop, and it suddenly went black. It was plugged in at the time.

Figured it had overheated, so I set it aside. However a day later, it still won’t boot. The USB3 expansion board is showing white when plugged in (normally indicates fully charged). Pressing the power, nothing happens, plugged in or no. Have tried different cables and USB ports. Also tried removing the expansion card and plugging a USB c cable direct into it, same behavior - power light but no boot.

Is this likely the power switch/fingerprint reader, or am I going to have to replace the main board?

Thanks in advance!

I’d open it and reseat everything that could be relevant.
This suggests that removing all power can reset some strange problems, though it’s really for the 11th gen Intel version: Fully Resetting the Mainboard State - Framework Guides
Then if no good open a ticket: Framework Knowledge Base
Or go straight to opening a ticket if you’re not comfortable with opening it up.
Good luck.

4 Likes

Thanks. Opened it up and everything appears to be connected properly.

I did observe the boot with it open - the boot lights there are giving 3 short reds, 1 long red, and 1 very very quick green. I’ve looked at the chart, but not sure what this means per Laptop won't boot, LED flashing code? Would that be CPU deassert, or Power boot core it’s failing at?

1 Like

Based on that it seems like there is a problem with power delivery.

I would try unplugging the battery (very gently and with the usb c NOT plugged in) waiting for 10 seconds or so. Then try to power the system on with the power button. This will ensure that the mainboard is completely void of power.

At this point plug the battery back in, replace the lid, and then try to power the system on.

Does this work?

3 Likes

Thanks so much - it didn’t work, but did give a different error at least . . .

I tried disconnecting the battery, booting (unplugged) after 10 seconds to drain, reconnecting the battery, and booting again. This time I got red, red, red, long red, red, red, red, long red, red, red, red, long red

After this, I connected a USB C charging cable, and see blinking red. When I then try and boot, I see 19 red, and then 3 quick green flashes.

1 Like

You have a hardware failure going on.

Framework customer service is the path you should take.

I can speculate on what happened, but you need to talk with customer support. RMA or replacement board is most likely in your future.

If you are up for it, I wonder what would happen if you disconnect the charging source, unplug your battery again, and this time, but the lid back on, plug in the power source, and see if the machine will turn on.

This is just to see if your battery is perhaps the problem.

5 Likes

Dang it, looks like that AMD upgrade might be coming earlier than I planned then.

Thanks much - I’ve got a ticket open with them, but the community support here is so helpful it’s wonderful!

3 Likes