12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.06 Beta

Happy birthday 12th gen Intel Core Framework Laptop 13 BIOS 3.06 Beta

4 Likes

Framework is a small company of less than 50 people with limited staff available. Patience is a virtue.

3 Likes

Patience is a virtue when were talking about a videogame release, or waiting in line at the grocery store.

This is about security patches, its different. 12th gen framework laptops should not be used to handle sensetive information while these vulns remain active. Urgency is warranted.

Practically speaking though, the 12th gen passed end of life over a year ago. I’ve accepted that this laptop was just a bad purchase, support was dropped before it landed on my doorstep. My framework is a home theatre PC now. I’ve gone back to recommending lenovo instead.

8 Likes

People on this thread, if you want a better experience, you can consider upgrading your mainboard to AMD. Of course, it’s not normal to change the mainboard within 1 year or less after you bought the current 12th Gen Intel. But if you took a risk for a new device as an early adapter, this situation can happen.

If you don’t like a Linux distro, it’s not hard to try another Linux distro as distro hopping. So, why not do mainboard hopping? Seeing this forum, I can see that one person from AMD is active by their internal motivation beyond the responsibility of their business, while I don’t see people from Intel on this forum. This makes me feel that I can expect a much better sustainable experience in AMD. People behind Linux distro or CPU matters.

If you want to change or correct Framework’s behavior in your morals, you can imagine it’s hard for people at Framework to support the BIOS firmware in multiple lines, and communicate regularly on this forum. They also have to earn money. I think if you want a peaceful mind, you can release your morals.

2 Likes

I really respect your input on this forum, but this is like the worst recommendation i could imagine…

3 Likes

Why do you think so?

I understand it’s painful to spend additional money, and if you don’t want or cannot to spend money to buy it, of course, waiting is one way.

But I can see this is about a “loss cut” for your investment. The terminology “loss cut” is used for investment. For example, a person bought a stock expecting the value would be increased, but actually, the value was not increased. So, the person would sell the stock at a cheaper price than when they bought it. But the person can get money by doing a “loss cut”.

So, you may lose opportunities that you could have a better experience by holding your current 12th Gen Intel mainboard, or by waiting for the things you cannot control. You may consume more of your energy when waiting for. This is a kind of losing your energies that you could have used for other useful things. And I wanted to let you know there is another way if you were trapped in your idea that you just have to wait for the new BIOS version.

Giving Framework more money at this point simply supports their practice of dropping support before the product is delivered (thanks @BusyBoredom for coming up with the concept).

Normally companies are expected to fixed things by showing contrition and proving that they can do better. This has been true for many recent software/game flops where developers went above and beyond to change their tune once the comunities were unhappy. And it is also true for the stock market you are so keen to refer to in your other posts. Investors wait for a few good Q before they start throwing more money at an oversold stock.

Framework seems to be going for a half measure where they do not want to support their products, but they keep on saying that they will. Probably to get people to buy their newest products. This is not a good practice and should not be encouraged. But to each their own.

Merry christmas and happy new year to all! And, of course, happy birthday 12th gen Intel Core Framework Laptop 13 BIOS 3.06 Beta!

5 Likes

I see that the idea is to control people’s behavior by giving or not giving an amount of money. And I have commonly seen the idea everywhere. If a company wants people to buy a product, they sell the product at a lower price. If a company assumes the product is good enough for people to buy it, the company sells the product at a higher price. If a company wants to see more people who apply for a job in the company, they increase the job’s salary. If a company sees enough people to apply for a job, they don’t increase the job’s salary, etc.

I also think you are kind, waiting for a new BIOS to educate Framework to be a greater company. I remembered an episode that Mahatma Gandhi fasted to be prepared for his death until some people stopped their violence in India. (Gandhi’s fasting and protests are credited for stopping the religious riots and communal violence.) I hope your act will empower people at Framework with love.

I see. Perhaps, people at Framework could inform us more frequently in this thread. However, if people are busy with other things, they may forget to inform us. Perhaps, you have an ability to be tidy and inform such things. But not everyone does.

My assumption is different from yours. Nrp informed us they were working to improve the situation.

3 Likes

I’m as frustrated as anyone, but this is simply not true. I bought my 12th gen in January 2023. However, I accept that I’ve bought in early on a developing hardware company. I just wish Framework would own up to the fact this is difficult and just say “This is hard, we have to be realistic with limited resources and move on.”

2 Likes

For computers of any kind (laptops, desktops, phones, tablets, smart watches, etc.) the end of regular security updates is pretty commonly understood as the end of the product lifecycle.

When a device stops getting security updates, it’s time to throw it out (or airgap it and use it for entertainment only) and buy a newer device.

3 Likes

This is a pretty wasteful mentality for consumer level stuff, and frankly not in alignment with Framework’s vision for sustainable products. I fully understand that this is the norm for enterprise gear. But this is not marketed as enterprise level gear. It a really cool laptop from a startup. The amount of butthurt people in this thread literally proves how little people understand about startups and small businesses. You bought a product from a startup/small business. Holding them to the same standard as a fortune 500 company sets everyone up for disappointment.

Does it suck its taken a while for this update? Yes. Im frustrated and getting impatient too, but i cant do anything about it so im not wasting cycles on caring about it. Stuff happens. Theyre working on it. Everyone needs to stop stirring up drama.

11 Likes

I thought they already said this in their last update.

(https://community.frame.work/t/12th-gen-intel-core-bios-3-06-beta/25726/426)

1 Like

They didn’t say that they were moving on, but that they have limited resources, and that “we have not forgotten about you”

2 Likes

Great, are they working on now 2 monthes later ?

Anu roadmap for 12th gen ?

thks for the update

Sadly we don’t know if the contract was signed or if the new team is hired yet.

Really?

What are you referring to?
I only see this quote:

At this time, this last post from Nirav outlines the process we’ll use when we’re ready

I don’t see a real meaningful statement.

So you don’t see the piece from Nirav that Matt is quoting that says a contract has been signed and staff from the BIOS supplier assigned to work on it?

No, I see what happened - you only read the first line from Matt!!

Ok, you are not referring to the post you linked to.
So I quote the part from the post you are referring to:

Now, we have a negotiated contract for a dedicated team to provide ongoing software work post-launch.

The contract is the starting point. From here, our supplier needs to reallocate or hire the new team members

This is what I said. The contract is negotiated and we don’t know, if it was signed already or if the framework team is ready yet.

Edit: I don’t think, it was signed yet, because the post is 3 months old and nothing happened in the time between.

Edit2: Please quote a sentence you are referring to, which explicitly states, that the contract was signed or the staff was hired.

1 Like