My unit suffers from quite persistent and very stubborn random freezes. I figured I’ll create a thread tracking all the things I tried so far, as well as to hear any suggestions, no matter how far-fetched.
Random full freeze. Most frequently occurs while using Microsoft Word. CPU use and temps prior to the freeze are normal. The screen stays on. No error message, no blue screen. Keyboard, trackpad, and mouse don’t respond.
- CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-1240P
- Storage: 1TB - WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™
- Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Windows 10 home (latest update).
- 1 USB-A
- 1 HDMI
- 1 DP
- 1 USB-C
Things I tried:
- Clean windows reinstall/repair from drive.
- Open command prompt (as admin), run sfc /scannow. It will find and repair potential corrupted files in windows.
- Open command prompt (as admin), run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth. Does basically the same thing as above.
- There is a known issue with WD850 firmware. Install the latest firmware from here Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support
- There might be a faulty expansion card. Try to run the system with all cards unplugged to find the culprit.
- Clean driver install (after clean windows install).
The list will be amended. Feel free to post further suggestions.