3 Displays with Pop_OS?

Greetings all. Just received my Batch 5 DIY edition and it is all I had hoped, save for one small annoyance.

I purchased a fairly generic USB C docking station (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BFN78D7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It states that it will run triple displays for Windows and Mac, and it does indeed work that way for a Surface Laptop with Windows 11.

However, the Framework running Pop_OS 21.04 can only drive the laptop display and one additional monitor through the dock. The system recognizes the additional monitor but won’t let me enable it with the message “This may be due to hardware limitations”.

I have to assume the limitation is with the dock and not the laptop but I was wondering if anyone running Linux has come across a solution for mimicking whatever display magic Windows is using to utilize all available displays.

In the absence of a fix, I’d settle for someone pointing me at some relevant threads out on the internet. I haven’t been able to figure out what search term to use to try and figure this out.

Cheers! Thanks all.

Try on windows. Might help.

It worked fine with a Windows machine. But sometimes the simplest answers are the best!

What can you do with a Framework that you can’t do with most laptops? Change the ports!

So I ordered an extra HDMI expansion module and just plugged everything directly into the laptop. Perhaps not as sexy as having a single cable for the docking station. But its pretty darn effective and way less expensive than having to buy a full on Thunderbolt dock for several hundred dollars.

Thanks Framework! This is why I bought the laptop in the first place :slight_smile:

Have you tried daisy chaining the display?

@GhostLegion I hadn’t seen that before. I will definitely check it out!