3D Framework Logo for artwork (Blender/FBX)

Hi. I saw someone post Framework desktop backgrounds they made on Reddit recently, and it gave me the idea to make a 3D model for stuff like that. I hope this is okay to share, if it’s not I will deactivate the Google Drive link.

I modelled it in Blender using photo-reference. It’s a subdivison surface model, so the mesh density is adjustable via modifier, it deforms properly for animations, and handles shaders well. It’s a .Blend file, but I exported it as FBX too. Feel free to use it if you are so inclined.
Google Drive: FW Logo SubD - Google Drive
I pulled a random HDRI into the project to test the lighting, it looked kind of like a Macbook background, so I rendered them out for FW13 and FW16 displays. They are in the Gdrive too. Lol.

5 Likes

Also, if anyone makes stuff with it, please feel free to share! I’d love to see anything people come up with!

Messing around with this right now:

2 Likes

that is such a good flower design

1 Like

Thanks! I’m going to put in some more work on it. Probably going to either make the background more stylized, or make the flowers more photorealistic.

Added a couple more to the Gdrive.

1 Like

I have a problem.

There are more colors too lol.

1 Like

Love your art! This is making me want to go play with geometry nodes on the 3D framework logo I modeled from photo reference for a wallpaper (visible in my pfp). I was planning on doing another version since I’m on Arch now, guess I’ll do it then.

I wonder if I can replicate macro photography distortion and depth of field on a render that mimics the DualSense’s textured grip except with Framework logos instead of the PlayStation branding…

1 Like

Thanks!

Yeah, geo nodes would have definitely been the smarter, easier, and more modern way to make that multi color background set. Not me though! I did the tried-and-true “change random settings on a particle system with no real idea of what you’re doing until it looks less stupid” method.

Here’s some more. Clay shader edition.

2 Likes

the pink one looks delicious :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

They do have way more of a candy vibe than a clay vibe. Like taffy or starbusrt or something.

Also makes the fingerprints very questionable, like why are there fingerprints ALL over my candy?

To be honest, I should have spent more time on these. I spent a bunch of time manually modelling the Styrene-A font you guys use (because I’m a masochist), proceeded to deform it with a clay shader anyways, and by that point I was like “F#%@ IT!!! PUT CLAY ON EVERYTHING AND SEND IT!” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been following your designs here (and on reddit) you must have spent plenty of time on these (not just the clay ones, all of them) and they all look so good.

2 Likes

Thank you. :heart: :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Was messing around with Fraoch’s STL model and ofc it turned into another background.

1 Like

:smiling_face_with_tear:

While this all looks great, I wasn’t using them. But the last one, I just have to!

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s okay man, between you and me, I wasn’t using them either. LOL.

I’m a decent 3D artist but I got nothing on Nasa’s Scientific Visualization Studio. I converted a 16K EXR of the Carina Nebula into a background and used that.

And no, thank you for making a model of the actual laptop! I wish Framework had released the CAD files for the body like Valve did for the Steam Deck. I’m glad I had yours to use.

1 Like

I was just playing around with micrometers and trying to learn FreeCAD. I didn’t even attempt to measure the speaker grilles. They would be fiendishly difficult to draw from measurements. A sweeping gradual curve whose radius changes, with small holes placed along it.

I never knew where the file would end up. I thought it was a rudimentary, initial attempt that would surely get overtaken by someone with much greater design skills than I had and still have, and I’d be more than willing to set my placeholder model aside in favour of this much more accurate and detailed effort. But it never really appeared.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Yo! I just found out FW released the files last week! It’s STP, I need to find a better way to convert the model but it’s the real deal.

And yeah, I 100% agree, those contours for the speakers are nightmare fuel in Blender too.

1 Like

Took the CAD data from GitHub, exported it as STL, and spent a few hours doing black magic with weighted normals. Added some PBR materials and voila!

0001-0238 (1)

1 Like

Slowly but surely chipping away at the detail work. I’m sure someday I’ll regret not retopologizing the whole thing instead of compounding the problem with booleans, but that day is (hopefully) not today.

1 Like