A very silly problem

Hello!

I’m kind of embarrassed to ask about this, since it’s such a silly problem to have. I have hairy wrists. I will frequently rest them on the edges of the laptop while it’s on my lap. There is obviously a seam around the input cover because you can remove it. A few months ago, I dropped my laptop and that seam widened just a little (bottom cover is very mildly dented).

My wrist hairs frequently get in the seam between the bottom cover and input cover and when I lift my arms away, these hairs get ripped out. :frowning:

I have no idea how to fix this. Please help for the sake of my poor wrists.

Thank you.

1 Like

Maybe you can fill the gap with something like a thin strip of paper or foam so that there isn’t room for your hair to get trapped in there.

2 Likes

Maybe the gap opened because the base is not screwed in properly? Check that the screws holding the base in are fully tightened.

1 Like

I would tend to use transparent silicon as it is will smooth to fit the gap and be easy to rip apart if you want to open. Place something inside if you are likely to force too mucg silicon inside.

• Take the input cover off and try and straighten the ‘bottom’ or

• Build up the bottom cover with 'plastic; metal using a rule to ensure you have it level

• Don’t rest your hands on the edge :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a fantastic idea! I’m going to try that.

This also sounds great! I will buy some silicon and foam to experiment with!

I’ve tried, but I’ve already scratched up the bottom cover quite a bit doing it. It looks better now, but the seam is still a little wide. :frowning:

Force of habit at this point, sadly.

That’s a good point! This is happening by the screw that’s intended to raise the input cover when unscrewed. I tightened it as much as I could without stripping the screw, and it’s sadly still a little open. If there’s some way to covert the raiser screw to a normal one, maybe I could tighten it more to close the gap? I’m not confident how to go about that, though.

Thank you all for the fantastic suggestions! I’ll update this thread when I start to play around with the silicon and foam inserts! :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Don’t do that. :scream: I’m sure the screw tightens enough, more force may strip the thread in the input panel or the screw head.

Pretty sure the screw is down as far as possible and a different screw wouldn’t change that.

1 Like

Just buy a new bottom cover, or which ever is the problem. That’s the good thing about a repairable laptop. At least that’s what I would do. I don’t like repairs that don’t look good.

1 Like

Aye aye! I’ll loosen it up a bit. It doesn’t seem to make much of a difference with the gap anyhow.

Good point! Inevitably, if I can’t make it look clean, that’s what I’m going to end up doing. The guide for replacing it doesn’t look as bad as I thought it’d be. :cowboy_hat_face:

Seems a bit over the top :slight_smile: