AMD Batch 3 Guild

Received mine last Tuesday a day early, installed that day, no issues and everything’s a-okay. Just posting pics of the package since part of the outside was torn (but the inside box was perfectly fine).

1 Like

It arrived! Package was in the same condition as the post above, but the mainboard was fine.

I’m so used to noisy Framework fans, this board is so quiet it’s almost creepy. I can get the fans to spin up, but I have to try pretty hard.

1 Like

got my Framework on Monday, and i got a strange behavior. My display showing something that looks like image noise on black and dark backrounds. especially when im charging my Laptop. I will try tomorrow to reseat the display connector, hopefully it will help.
Everything else is great. Got 32 GB Kingston Fury 5600 Mhz CL40 and memory training took under a minute.

3 Likes

Technically speaking I don’t have my signature on file (from what I have checked with my online Fedex account). I had mine dropped off at the door without any notification from the driver. FedEx email came 2 minutes after the delivery.

I think there is a level of detail that FedEx cannot necessary manage at every level of the company (on its delivery).

FedEx cannot always force the drivers to walk packages to the front door. Technically the driver can leave the package at the garage door, the sidewalk, etc

FedEx does not even check that the picture captured by the drive is fussy (vs a clear high quality photo).

I would suggest the best way to deal with FedEx (or any delivery company) is watch for the shipment delivery notifications; use a camera or doorbell camera; and be aware of weather conditions.

It is hit or miss to get a good driver that will take the care to make sure packages are secure.

Mine had a similar tear in the brown packaging, but the box in the photo i linked was very similar to mine.

I was planning to assembly my until this afternoon/this evening. I know I received it Monday, but had not had a free moment (from daily life activities) to upgrade to this new mainboard.

I just received the laptop but the display is defective!

I did get my unit assembled…

I took the Intel Gen 11th mainboard and wifi card out. Transplant those components with a new audio port and wifi antenna to the cooler master.

The unit booted up. I stopped because I wanted to focus on the AMD mainboard.

I did get the mainboard, wifi, new DDR memory, and new NVMe installed. The unit did power on, but I got a error. I was able to check the BIOS and it recognized all the RAM and the mainboard.

I was using an USB stick that uses ventoy – that could have been an issue. I am not changing to a simple USB A boot stick with Fedora Workstation Live. I am using 38 as I want to wait for 39 when it is officially released.

AMD batch 3 arrived today, now working with Manjaro Linux KDE , kernel 6.6,
64G GSkill Ripjaws DDR5-5600, and Samsung 990 2T. Everything I’ve tested works so far,including fingerprint reader, wifi, sound, Bluetooth.
It arrived with BIOS 3.02, but I used the USB upgrade to 3.03.

Installation needed turning off TPM in the bios.
Fingerprint reader needed extra drivers described here and Arch Linux wikis.
RAM is running at claimed speed, at least in BIOS.

Sweet machine!

2 Likes

Just curious, but Framework previously stated in April that the 7040 series won’t ship with a 2 pin RTC battery. Now that a fair number of people are getting their units, is this no longer the case, or what is everyone using to power their RTC? I’m only familiar with button cell CMOS batteries, so I’m not sure what part would replace it.

Performed my 11th gen i5 to Ryzen 5 upgrade tonight. Everything went smoothly on the physical side. I installed Windows and installed the driver bundle. Wifi is working but can’t break 100 Mbps while my previous mainboard and intel Wifi card hit my ISP cap of 500 Mbps. Using the RZ616 Wifi card recommended by Framework.

Edit:
Slow wifi speed turned out to be router related. Seems to be working fine now!

1 Like

Most people obviously use the main laptop battery. The RTC battery is only needed if you run the laptop without the main battery in a case or so and then only if you intend to regularly disconnect the power supply.

Did you file a support case with Framework?

On Mint myself and not quite has the same problem but does seem similar. On first boot I am able to use my finger without an issue but it does require a “enter” to complete the log in. I do not get a password prompt unless I have had a failed finger print attempt.
I am far from a pro at this, but will see if I can dig in and see what is going on in the next day or so.

Yes I reported to framework support but no response yet.

Weird! Not sure why mine is different. Pressing enter or space after using the fingerprint loops back to the main screen right away! I had this same problem when I setup Linux Mint on my ThinkPad T480 as well and that had Secure Boot off! I’m thinking it’s probably due to encrypting the drive?

Secure boot does not seem to change how the reader functions, at least for me. I did install Mint with secure boot enabled.
After looking around it seems the way the reader is acting, for me at least, is standard. Having to press enter after scanning your finger is normal.
As for why you are getting a log in loop that is clearly something different.

I found another with the same issue on the Mint forms and it was tied to encyption of the /home folder. Its a bit dated:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=362193

1 Like

Definitely good to know! I guess I’ll treat it as the bootup from my phone where I need to put in the password before being able to use the fingerprint reader. Same thing and allows me to remember the password that way.

It seems like it has been a bug for a very long time

Indeed the tracking said it had been signed upon receipt, but in fact it had been thrown behind a flowerpot :face_with_spiral_eyes:
Anyway, the laptop works as expected.

1 Like

Received and upgraded it as well… definitely can see the performance change…and I dont hear those loud fan noises which was regular with i5 12th Gen…! So far experience is awesome…

1 Like

Did anyone in the Guild purchase the DIY model of the AMD mainboard AMD Ryzen™ 7 7840U ?

I am running Fedora 39 and this morning was prompt with this package:
Updates in this release
• Update AMD Firmware to fix issues with Kernel 6.5 not booting. This update includes the
following Firmware C20MP_PHY_2.14.2, IMU11.1.44.0, PSP_00.2D.00.74 and SMU76.70.0.
• Fix power button LED behavior when doing a hard power off.
• Update power limit table.
• Modify sleep LED behavior.
• Revert PD workarounds for display output causing a crash on resume from S4.

To update the system firmware when in standalone mode, you must set the BIOS menu Setup Utility → Advanced->Standalone Operation to Enabled.

It is the BIOS updated to upgrade 3.03.

The update completed successfully.

I noticed I do not have any UI/GUI crash/restart when Firefox is first launch after a full reboot. I am hoping this is part of the graphic update.

I did check the support page for Framework AMD units and noticed that 3.03 is now shown. When I got my mainboard unit a few weeks ago 3.02 was listed.

would like to read what others have seen (on the AMD/Linux side)…