AMD Batch 8 Guild

Apparently over there, in the Batch 7 Thread, they report that their emails are coming in!

You might want to read the thread again, they’re saying batch 6 is getting emails, not 7

1 Like

I think you nailed it (also been watching the reddit posts and someone makes a graph of this every time a new batch gets an email) haha

10 days to our notifications, then everyone desperately checking for new emails for shipping notification :wink:

I imagine that Batch 7 would get their emails by the end of next week and then hopefully Batch 8 by weeks end the following week. I see Batch 8 potentially arriving in peoples hands by the end of the month, beginning of December.

Maybe a day or two off, but who’s counting? Oh wait, we all are :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That is embarrassing, you are right xD

Yeah, I think there is alway a small delay between first email and actual shipping. Hopefull we will be delivered 1st week of december

I’m waiting for my Ryzen 5 DYI with 2x8GB RAM and 500GB storage offered by FW. Expansion cards 2xC 1xA and 1xHDMI. I like the idea of being able to connect to a monitor without a dongle.

Will use the FW mainly for work (web, email, writing notes and LaTeX), but also for my occasional hobby programming and Linux-exploration.
I have a full PC, it’s good and also for games, but I really lack the ability to work while not at home or at work :smiley:
And since I always hated the poor build and awful maintainability of my previous laptops (that’s why I got a PC in the first place), and as the new AMD-FW seems to have a good performance and battery life, the question was not if I get one, but rather when I’ll get one :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Hello dear guild members, things seem to be progressing quite quickly after all. How nice! :slight_smile:

I’m expecting the AMD Ryzen 7 7840U mainboard and a WiFi module, nothing more. Because I’ve had a - much-loved - Framework laptop running Fedora Linux for a year and a half now, and I want to give it more power with the AMD CPU than with the small Intel i5. The Intel mainboard should then become a small desktop computer.

Fun fact: I already had a Ryzen 5 mainboard on the order list and would have been included in batch 2. The fact that I then changed my mind shortly before delivery in favour of the Ryzen 7 board threw me back to batch 8. :see_no_evil::laughing:

3 Likes

Hello! I’ll chime in.

Side note: Macbook Pros and Microsoft Surfaces are great machines, I’ve used both extensively. But 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD as standard config is embarrassingly backwards - it hasn’t changed in 10+ years. And the gouging when you try and add more storage, with apple or microsoft, is eye watering… especially in aussie dollars.

So! I’m going AMD 7840U, 32GB (2x16) DDR5-5600, and BYO-ing a 4TB Lexar NM790 SSD. Adding a 1TB storage expansion plus 1TB cards in MicroSD storage expansion. 6TB of internal storage - hooray! My Sony A1 camera can get through about 0.5TB in a busy day, so finally I’ll have a laptop that can keep up when away from my big desktop, without constantly resorting to slow and damage-prone spinning disk USB HDDs.

I’m going to put Linux on, as Windows is getting too creepy. The Lexar NM790’s controller is unfortunately only supported in linux kernel version 6.5.5+, which is very recent, so I’ll go with Fedora 39, which has kernel 6.5.9 by default. It sounds promising, and I think I’ll try the KDE “spin”, as it looks useful. However, I like Ubuntu, so when 24.04 LTS comes out next year with kernel 6.6+ I’ll most likely switch to that.

With luck the AMD 7040 might just be the first CPU/GPU combo that can handle the 8K 10-bit 4:2:2 H265 videos (at 520mbit/sec) that my Sony A1 makes. My M1 Pro mac laptop, and my 11th gen intel + RTX3070 windows desktop, completely crap themselves - have to use proxies and transcode down. So far, I’ve found only an M2 Ultra mac desktop has been able to handle playing the originals back smoothly, but the specs on the hardware acceleration in the Radeon 780M make me hopeful… as long as they included the 4:2:2 profile.

Cheers!

7 Likes

But now Batch 7 is getting their EMails! This time for real! Hype Hype

8 Likes

I can’t believe I’m getting so excited about shipping notification emails.

5 Likes

Anyone order RAM separately for their AMD Framework 13? Curious if any testing has been done on different brands/types? Any suggestions?

I know there is this list, but curious if any users have done testing… What DRAM/memory is supported by Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series)?

edit: Found some more data online, seems like the kingston and g.skill ram that runs at 5600 at cl40 are some of the best for this laptop that are verified to work. Most people are getting 2x32 sticks… but I don’t think I need that much, thinking of 2x16… 32GB should be enough I would think… but I know the GPU and CPU share ram… will have to see if anyone has benchmarks comparing both size configs.

fyi this is what I am thinking of getting right now, Amazon.com

I’m also in batch 8 and have 2x16 sticks of that same RAM sitting on my shelf. It seems to be the best timing available and didn’t cost much more than the Crucial RAM when I bought it, which can vary depending on where you live and when you buy it, of course. I kindof forgot about sharing RAM with the GPU at the time, but this is a business laptop for me so I don’t expect that to be an issue for my own uses.

I considered buying ram separately, but I was getting it as a work laptop and work are already uncomfortable enough with the DIY concept for a business machine. Here’s hoping Framework starts to normalise that kind of thing.

1 Like

Updated:

Estimates pushed out by 1 day. Still looking like batch 8 could start shipping before end of November. Start checking your email 100 times a day starting early next week. Get a ticket in to support now if you still want to make any order changes. You might already be too late!

Oct 27 - We’re preparing Batch 4 email
Nov 2 - We’re preparing Batch 5 email (6 days from batch 4 prep)
Nov 3 - First batch 4 shipment (7 days from prep email)
Nov 8 - We’re preparing Batch 6 email (6 days from batch 5 prep)
---- actual dates of previous guesses ----
Nov 9 - Batch 5 starts shipping
Nov 15 - We’re preparing Batch 7 (+1d)
Nov 16 - Batch 6 starts shipping (+1d)
---- very scientific linear extrapolation begins ----
Nov 21 - We’re preparing Batch 8
Nov 22 - Batch 7 starts shipping
Nov 27 - We’re preparing Batch 9
Nov 28 - Batch 8 starts shipping
Dec 4 - Batch 9 starts shipping

8 Likes

I ultimately decided that since I had a little extra savings accumulate over the months waiting for this I would spend some on buying two of the crucial 32x1 sticks to ultimately get 64GB of memory instead of buying the $80 16GB(2x8) Kit from Framework.

Here’s hoping it works with no issues.

1 Like

Ended up getting a 24GB Crucial 5600 Mhz Stick. Unfortunately, all the 8GB and 16B 5600Mhz Sticks of RAM were out of stock in my neck of the woods. 24GB is more than plenty for my use case. I would have been content with 16GB but maybe the extra 8GB of breathing might be better.

As well as a Samsung 980 Pro 2TB. NVME Gen 4. I don’t see myself needing more than 2TB in the near future, there’s always the option to upgrade or use external storage.

Just counting the days until the email arrives.

Should work but worth noting this:

Please note that while 24GB and 48GB DDR5-5600 modules seem to function, they are not officially supported by the Ryzen 7040 Series platform, so we can’t guarantee compatibility

As long as you 5600 you should be good. Most complaints on RAM I see are about 5200. You should be fine…I went with Crucial 5600.

1 Like