BIOS Update

Good afternoon,
I was wandering if there was any view on the bios update that being tested.
How is it looking, has it had any red flags on it?

2 Likes

Whichever BIOS update you are referring to, I suggest you read the thread dedicated to it.

1 Like

There was a BIOS update for the FW16 to fix 2230 SSD recognition as sometimes the system would boot, but the 2230 SSD wouldn’t be seen.

1 Like

It hasn’t been released yet.

From the 8th update email:

Secondary SSD may disappear - AMD has provided us with the necessary BIOS fix, which we’re now testing as part of an overall Framework Laptop 16 BIOS update. Our initial testing on it is positive. Once this BIOS is ready, we’ll share it into the Community first as a Beta release before the final release.

4 Likes

Yeah thats the last I saw, I need to make my SSD purchase soon as my batch is being prepared.
I ideally want to use the 2230 as the OS and then use the 2280 later as the library drive for the higher speeds.

I just want to avoid gambling and make an informed choice if possible

2 Likes

Same here. I want the 2230 as an OS (/) drive and the 2280 as users (/home) drive. It makes installations easier and I don’t have to worry about losing my files during reinstalls, formats, etc.

I’m using the 2230 as my boot drive, with 2280 as library drive. I’ve never had the 2230 drive disconnect, but I have had the 2280 drive disconnect when resuming from sleep, and then reconnect after several sleep cycles. A reboot also reconnects the drive.

1 Like

That makes me feel slightly confident about just going 2230 for now and adding the 2280 later
Thank you for sharing

Anyone know if the latest BIOS update will be added to pre-ordered FW16s or will it have to be added manually by the customer?

When the boards are manufactured, they are loaded with the latest available BIOS. So machines produced around the time a new BIOS is released may or may not have it. But any devices manufactured a reasonable amount of time after the BIOS has been released should have it. At least, that has been my experience.

The BIOS update 3.03 of April 4th was not on my FW16 batch 12 that was delivered April 26th.

I imagine the board was manufactured and tested before 3.03 was available. That’s why I said that machines produced around the time the new BIOS comes out may or may not have it.

My FW 13 AMD arrived with firmware that released not long before I received the batch preparing email. My 11th gen Intel FW 13 also arrived with a Beta firmware that had release only shortly before that laptop shipped.

I know with the FW 16 they really ramped up production to get batches produced as quickly as possible. So it’s very likely that they had a lot of machines in the pipeline with the previous firmware on them before 3.03 came out.

Yeah you were right… My previous message was purely informative :slight_smile:

1 Like

Makes sense, thanks! I guess we should ask people in the latest batches that were delivered what BIOS version they received.

1 Like