Cannot enable TPM in BIOS

I want to enable BitLocker on my new Framework 13 AMD laptop, but it seems that the TPM is not detected. Going into the BIOS, I find this setting:

If I set that to “Enabled”, save, and exit, it always resets to “No Operation”. Is there something I’m missing?
I have installed the latest BIOS (3.03).

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I think that shows pending operations, so you have enabled it already.

I see. Windows still can’t seem to find it, though.

Are you on Windows 10? It doesn’t support Microsoft Pluton, which is the effective TPM for the 7040 mainboards.

It is supported out of the box on Windows 11. Some people have had issues upgrading from an existing Windows 10 instance though since it can’t find the TPM device for its upgrade installer’s validation.

2 Likes

Ah, that would be it then. Thanks for the info.

Does this mean it can not upgrade to Win11?

1 Like

Can someone explain what this configuration does? I would presume that it merely enables the TPM at the UEFI level, yet if so, why would it come disabled if it’s a requirement for Windows 11?

It’s not “come disabled”. OP was trying to install Windows 10, which couldn’t find the TPM as it’s not supported on Windows 10. You’ll be fine with Windows 11.

(This is a old thread, any reason why you’re digging this up?)

@Second_Coming, for me, it came as “No operation” by default. I had to manually set it to “Enabled”.

Just purchased the laptop, and this was the sole existent thread about this topic.

Rather odd indeed then.

Wonder if it’s a BIOS default of old BIOS versions.

1 Like

@Second_Coming, that wasn’t your experience, then?

That’s a good point - I should update it.

That menu item does not indicate the current state of the TPM.
It lets you specify what action to perform on the TPM when you next reboot.

“No operation” means “do not change anything about the TPM when I exit this page”. It does not mean “the TPM is not operational.”

3 Likes

@DHowett, thanks. Consequently, what did setting it to “Enabled” do?

I believe it will turn the TPM back on if the state is not currently “All Hierarchies Enabled” (in the TPM State field a few lines above TPM Operation). Otherwise, it will be a no-op.

1 Like

Oh, interesting. It looks like it actually controls whether TCG Physical Presence is enabled. It should have changed to offer Disable. I am not sure what this means for your machine.

1 Like

Maybe this is somewhat of an indicator that the details / description in BIOS settings / options can use some fine tuning. (End user [polished] experience…less cryptic)

1 Like

@Second_Coming, definitely. A description for each option would be welcome.

Perhaps you can do it by booting from a Win11 USB drfive?

I bought a pre-build 11th Gen with Win 10 and updated to Win 11 with no issues. Didn’t really know about TPM so didn’t give it a thought but it’s there now with no help from me. :slight_smile:

1 Like