Chrome OS Edition

Same, I installed the AX200 yesterday and it’s amazing with ChromeOS Flex. Already got VS Code installed with some Linux Apps. This thing runs without any issues for me so far. Highly recommend. Plus the wifi module is like $20 tops online.

4 Likes

Chrome OS Flex was officially released today. Sadly it’s still on the 5.10 kernel, so you’re still out of luck if you’re using the AX210 for now.

3 Likes

As someone who is still on my Pixelbook until it “expires” in 2024, I’ve been looking into the Framework laptop as its possible replacement.

I’ve come to like the “web-focus” my Pixelbook provides, and have been keeping track of ChromeOS Flex. Since I’d probably install some form of Linux anyways, trying out ChromeOS Flex doesn’t seem too much out of the way.

That said I do have some concerns (besides the ones listed above, which are good to know!)

Namely:

hows the keyboard button support? Does the Caps Lock key act like the “everything” search button?

whats the limitations? I think I read you can’t get Android app support, but since I don’t use Android apps on my chromebooks this wont bother me. Linux works fine?

Thanks!

I am also still using my Pixelbook.

For me, Chrome OS Flex just isn’t good enough, the biggest reason being the lack of Android apps. Microsoft and Amazon are bringing Android apps to Windows, and Google is even bringing Android games to Windows, but can’t be bothered to support them on their own installable OS variant. That’s just ridiculous.

I actually got a Framework Laptop, and tried to just get used to it, but ended up returning it partially because it was a major disappointment for me coming from a Pixelbook.

I didn’t try CloudReady (the precursor to Flex) because of the lack of Android, so can’t say for sure as to those questions. But the main version of Chrome OS has the ability to remap a few special keys which should enable you to remap Caps to Launcher.

Unfortunately, the hardware just doesn’t compare. The repairability and such is great, but is not a substitute for the Pixelbook’s nicer hardware. Three major issues are the keyboard, touchpad, and lap comfort.

The FL keyboard is a Windows layout, not a Chrome layout, which I find to be much nicer and is thankfully mostly standard across Chromebooks, unlike Windows laptops. The Chrome style is enough of an improvement for me that I even use a Chrome keyboard when using Windows and Linux on desktop.

The touchpad was a massive downgrade. The one on the Pixelbook is the best I have ever used or tried on any laptop. Moving fingers over the Pixelbook’s touchpad feels great due to whatever seemingly unique material the surface is made out of. The Framework Laptop’s touchpad felt more like the cheap low end Chromebook touchpads I used to use before the Pixelbook, or even closer to Google’s Pixel Slate touchpad, which is also a massive downgrade compared to on the Pixelbook.

Regarding lap comfort, there are 3 main problems.

Based on Intel’s specs, the Pixelbook uses a low energy processor with TDP from 3.5 to 7 watts. The Framework Latop uses higher energy processors with TDP from 20 to 64 watts. While I’m not certain as to those numbers accuracy, the FL generates far more heat and thus requires a fan, unlike the fanless PB. The additional heat is quite uncomfortable in warmer weather when using on the lap.

The Pixelbook feels much better than most laptops when used on the lap because it is almost completely flat on the bottom. The FL is not, with vents and significantly protruding feet on the bottom.

Another issue is the added weight, 2.8 lb compared to the Pixelbook at 2.45 lb. While that may not seem like much, the flatness of the PB spreads the weight out, while the FL weight is uncomfortably focused on the bottom feet.

The additional heat, protruding feet, and higher weight all add up to make lap comfort significantly worse with the Framework Laptop (and almost every other) compared to the Pixelbook.

As a result, I will continue to use my (or another) Pixelbook for decades or until manufacturers manage to someday produce a better laptop. When Chrome OS updates expire, I’ll probably switch to using Windows or Linux with something like Breath.

1 Like

This is disappointing to hear, but expected. The Pixelbook has easily one of the best touchpads on any laptop. I wasn’t expecting the touchpad on the Framework laptop to come close, but to hear that it more on the “lower end Chromebook” spectrum is disappointing.

This is also good to know, to get things back to how chromeOS works there is some flexibility out there.

I also use the Brydge chromeOS keyboard and it is one of the main reasons why I’d like to use the Framework laptop with chromeOS and be able to use the same key mapping layout.

I’m not much of a lap user due to my Pixelbook usage usually making it run hot enough I dislike the idea of it on my lap, even if all the heat is situated at the top of the keyboard where the motherboard is. It is good to know the lap experience with the Framework laptop is very questionable though.

My single biggest worry is chromeOS+Framework+Linux development environment support and runtime performance. My Pixelbook just does not cut it when it comes to running VSCode from the Linux development environment. It runs slow and is choppy even before I actually start using any tooling. Today I use code-server, which renders a version of VSCode into browser, but having the direct real thing working within chromeOS via the Linux development environment with all the bells and whistles on a higher performing machine is currently the dream.

Aside from fully replacing Chrome OS with Linux on the PB, you can also try vscode.dev, though it is also a more limited experience.

As to the FL keyboard, while you should be able to remap caps, the top actions may be a different story. Based on how it worked when I briefly installed Flex on another laptop, and CloudReady a while back, Chrome OS will receive the actions as labeled on the keyboard if the firmware sends them as such, and if there is a firmware setting to use numeric function keys, then Flex should apply a default Chromebook layout from them.

1 Like

This is now a thing!

1 Like

@nrp

I understand the Framework team is currently working on a Q&A regarding the Chromebook Edition.
I have gone through several discussions about the new Chromebook Edition; there appears to be a few unanswered questions. The ones I could come up with are as follows:

1. Laptop Top Cover Swapping:
    The top cover is different. Will it be possible for a user to replace the Chromebook Edition cover with the stronger CNC version? Perhaps a good option to give buyers with a DIY version? On that note, how about an optional minimalist cover that does not feature any logos (for all existing and future FW laptops).
  2. Mainboard Desktop Version:
    Can a user remove the Chromebook Edition mainboard from the laptop casing and make a Chrome OS desktop? Will it be compatible with the official 3D printed Framework case?
  3. Mainboard Swapping (Chromebook → Windows/Linux, or vice versa):
    Will the Framework team please implement the option for a user to take a standard Windows FW mainboard and install it into the chassis of the Chromebook Edition? Meaning, making sure there is basic compatibility with the trackpad, WiFi card, webcam, etc (firmware)? Obviously, having the ability for a Chromebook Edition mainboard to be installed into a standard Framework chassis with full compatibility would also be smart. Theoretically, someone could maintain their Chromebook Edition well past 2030. If there is no new Chromebook upgrade path available, at this time, users are going to be depending on compatibility with a Windows based Framework mainboard. In the very least, they need to be able to abandon Chrome OS and install Windows or Linux.
  4. Keyboard Foreign Language Options:
    ETA on different language options for the Chromebook Edition keyboard? Will this simply not happen?
  5. Touch Screen Option:
    Touch screen option: so that Android apps can be interacted with appropriately? Does not need to be mandatory but an upgrade or higher tier would be logical.
  6. Speaker Compatibility:
    Are the new, more powerful, speakers in the Chromebook edition compatible with the standard Windows/Linux based Framework laptop?
  7. Operating System Options:
    Can a user install something besides Chrome OS on the Chromebook Edition hardware? What about dual-booting? Is it totally locked down? Would someone be able to install and run Chrome OS from an external SSD module, or would the installation need to be located on the internal NVME?
  8. Battery Life:
    How many hours did the battery testing reveal in the lab? I understand it should be at least 10 hours as this is a Google mandated standard, correct?
  9. Hardware Compatibility:
    Would the FW team please establish a detailed list of what parts are the same across the entire product line, and which are not? So far, the only details known for sure are that the bezels and USB-C modules work across all products. It is also known that the speakers, keyboard, trackpad, mainboard are all different. Additionally, compatibility may not exist across operating systems, or even between product lines, for the WiFi cards, webcams, trackpads, NVMEs, fingerprint reader. What about all the other parts? Regardless, hopefully all of these parts can be used in any of the current products to reduce confusion and increase repairability / customization.
  10. DIY Option:
    Will there be a DIY option? I think a lot of people do not want to be stuck with the base storage and base RAM. Meaning, these customers do not want to pay for these entry level hardware components, only to buy and install better ones after initial purchase.
  11. Future Framework Chromebook Mainboard Upgrades:
    What sort of milestone is Framework looking for to establish the possibility of a future Chromebook mainboard upgrade path?

Of course, there will not be perfect compatibility but it is obvious that this level of support needs to be as established as possible. There will be many future headaches if care is not taken in this regard.

Thank you.

2 Likes

I’m really excited for the Framework Chromebook edition because I was running Brunch happily on my Framework for months until I tried to update to the dev channel to try Borealis and blew it up, requiring a reinstall.

I too am hoping that MrChromebox or Framework supply an AltFW payload that allows booting Linux or Windows on the Chromebook edition similar to how I’m able to do so on my Dell Latitude 5300 Chromebook.

A touchscreen option would really be ideal and almost unthinkable to not include soon, because ever since the first Chromebook Pixel 2013 that had a touchscreen Chrome has had the best touch browsing experience and it is far less carpal tunnel inducing when reading in bed or on your lap to use a thumb at the edge of the screen to scroll rather than reaching for the touchpad or arrow keys.

1 Like

So true, touchscreen on ChromeOS is so good!! With a 360° hinge it’s even better.

1 Like

Is it possible to install Chrome OS onto a regular Framework?
There seem to be different requirements for the BIOS (specifically for their Android simulation environment)
And, vice-versa, is it possible to install non-chrome-OSs on a Chomebook edition?

1 Like

@Xavier_Jiang

Yeap! :blush:

Unofficial forks of chromium OS exist that have support for android apps. Something like FydeOS.

If you want Google’s own version, ChromeOS flex. You can install an addon that lets you make a recovery bootable USB. You won’t have android app support though!

You can also install waydroid under linux which gives android app support from the app launcher, it’s pretty cool you should give it a try!
(They also have a debian based distro you can install with everything configured out of the box)

2 Likes

I was told that the “flex” version do not enable you to run android apps.

If all I want is to run android apps, I would have just ran “Android x86” (open source android that runs on x86 systems)

Having received my FW CB Monday, I’ve learned that currently the Alderlake Chromebooks (12th Gen Intel CPUs) aren’t playing nicely with AltFW, so while there is a full UEFI replacement from MrChromebox for the FW CB there is no AltFW/Legacy_RW payload.

That said if you NEED to be able to dual boot Linux, I have tested out the successor to the Breath project (Linux w/ ChromeOS signed kernel) under the Eupnea-Linux umbrella, and their Depthboot process does allow booting a USB with Ubuntu or Fedora (or Pop_OS! or Arch according to their docs) on the FW CB that is in Developer Mode, and the only settings that need changed are the dev_boot_usb=1 and dev_boot_signed_only=0.

2 Likes

These are the only settings that need changed to boot it, after playing around a little more I’ve discovered that you may want to disable Wayland for the time being to avoid graphics artifacts.

Just a quick post to mention that Chrome OS Flex recently got updated to the 5.15 kernel, so it should no longer have any issues with the Intel AX210. This should also resolve issues with high resolution displays.

2 Likes

I’m still not able to get the WiFi working at the start of the ChromeOS Flex booting process when using the latest Stable version. I think it’s the latest kernel which per above should have fixed the issue. I’m choosing to ‘try’ rather than erase my existing OS – could this be preventing the WiFi from working? Any other ideas?

1 Like

Entering uname -srv in a terminal will confirm your kernel version.

1 Like