Community Contest: The Lenovo legal team says

I’m only able to find these two:
https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=4804:63h3pj.6.1
https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=4804:63h3pj.6.2

Surprised the lawyer didn’t state a registration number of the alleged infringement if it was at all a registered trademark owned by Lenovo.

2 Likes

Maybe something like this? Basically the original design but with the framework logo.

5 Likes

1 Like

My revised idea: Da Vinci’s man and god fingers touching at… the Framework On button:

Since this case is all about giving a laptop motherboard new life as a desktop,
this case could be called the Framework Renaissance (meaning rebirth).

To get the button nicely centered between the two hands, it would need to move to either the center panel, or the center of the right panel. The symmetry would look nice though.

This could be embossed onto the orange plastic:

Oh come on! Nobody is going to confuse those 2. Unless your 3D printer is set up horribly wrong, the Framework case is a much better quality.

Anyway,

I’m not a 3D modeler, so I’ll just make this quick sketch.

The letters are embossed debossed (oops, messed that one up). Not sure how deep that can be in order to keep structural integrity. I’ll leave those calculations to people who actually know this stuff.

8 Likes

The wall is 2mm thick, so at most 1mm. But 0.5 should be sufficient for the writing to be readable.

2 Likes

Hey guys!
New here :slight_smile:
What about using some kind of wireframe as the button? :slight_smile:

Boring but standard/obvious and functional?

8 Likes

And now just to over-complicate things,…

1 Like

Here is my submission for the re-design, I wanted to make sure it was printable so I made a little sample (printed great), I don’t have a full mainboard to test it on, but it has the same total size of legs (4x 1.5x1mm instead of 3x 2x1mm) so I think the stiffness should be pretty much the same.

8 Likes

i made a thing its not perfect but hey not a professional here ya got to pay for those if ya like it email me if not have a nice day

@Zachariah_Mears
For symmetry reasons i would also add the other 2 horizontal lines in the gear.

1 Like

Here is my submission, print in place with framework logo inlay. Haven’t tested the print yet, new printer arriving tomorrow.

3D Print Files | Printables

7 Likes

@devryd I tried this, and it is certainly an option, but IMO it looks kinda weird and is less distinguishable as the framework logo, you also run into the issue that the tabs either start to get too small (want to make sure this works for anyone’s printer) or too stiff.

2 Likes

Hmmm,… I think the detail is too fine ==> weak.

1 Like

frameworklogo
frameworklogo2
Two variants for consideration. The first one sort of more belongs as a fan grille, but I still think it’s pretty effective as a power button alternative.

1 Like

Here’s my spin with text extracted from the Framework Logo. Still need adjustment with chamfers for button longevity/stiffness.

3D Print Files | Printables

8 Likes

These are to two designs I came up with based off the framework cog logo
1st design

4 Likes

And here is the 2nd design (bit thinner button)

4 Likes

Why don’t you just use the framework logo, it looks awesome as a power button
framework