Community Contest: The Lenovo legal team says

Well I understood the contest as, the button has to be functional. Personally I also think it has to be easy enough to print.

Edit: Added a “functional” version of the button using the logo. It has to be done as a multicolor print or inlays. Still won’t be as easy to print as the original three prong design though.

In my subjective idea, this situation is such as Mahatma Gandhi’s quote - “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”. Now the phase is “they fight you”. Framework moved forward to this phase. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Referencing to an old Lenovo logo, which could be repurposed as a power button.

Edit: Referenced inspiration.

Edit 2: I’m sure I’ve seen that simple looking logo somewhere, elsewhere.

2 Likes

First time using GIMP and this was an absolute disaster
disaster

It is not the best sketch i have ever made. but it is easy enough for most 3d printers to make :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does look similar to the Beats logo or to the Chrome logo

I’m sure Lenovo won’t like this but here’s another variation

5 Likes

I agree. The second article is insightful and explains the creative idea behind the reaction very well. Not only that, I think the reaction is peaceful and inclusive. I think Framework is still welcome for companies or individuals who assist Framework’s mission. Framework shared their pitch deck for their mission.

Edited removing some parts: This tweet says Lenovo had to act to protect their copyright, otherwise they might lose their copyright. - https://twitter.com/EricBLieberman/status/1560959671032225792.

1 Like

with debossed F in wireframe or company font

Since I thought of a very simple fix that the entire thread of suggestions seems to have missed, here is my entry I guess (technically 2 entries in the image, as the easiest way to make the image was through paints select-tool to cut and paste stuff, and the source image had 2 versions I figured both would work nicely after I modified them)?

The issue was the power button having 3 evenly spaced bars conencting a circle, where one of them pointed straight down.
So my suggestion is to instead have 3 evenly spaced bars conencting a circle, where one of them is pointed upwards.

In addition to that, I also suggest an infinite amount of submissions sans picture, that I describe as "three evenly spaced bars connecting a circle, where one points downwards+\theta radians, where \theta % 2pi != 0.

Should both be the quickest, dirtiest and easiest fix, as well as inherits all the advantages that the original developers of the button considered. You could even take my submission and rotate it so it’s applied to the case at a slant, making it so you don’t have to edit the files at all!!!

3 Likes

here is the design I made, in theory, the supports holding the button should be invisible because there is no light inside the case but light might pass through the sides of the logo so modifying it and making it thin should solve this problem.

8 Likes

Keeping the roundish design and minimum changes to not mess-up the engineering.

3 Likes

Here, now it looks nothing like the Lenovo logo
framework logo

1 Like

Hi I’ve been following framework for a long time but only now thought I would make an account here.
I thought this might look nice as a power button :slight_smile:

Asset 4

2 Likes

Here’s my submission:

It’s a simple separate-button, with a bevel to keep it from popping out the top of the case. The version in the screenshot is keyed, in case the user doesn’t want the button to spin freely, but I have a version that’s un-keyed too.

As much as I like integrated button designs, I think a separate piece for the button has a lot of benefits:

• less work to repair than an integrated button if the integrated button snaps
  • likelier to work if the user wants to use a more rigid or brittle filament
  • easier to customize
    • especially if you’re like me and only have Blender - there’s less topology to worry about with just a button
    • easier to print different colors - just print the button separately
    • also don’t need to re-print a whole top case if you just want to change up the button

I have STLs on Thingiverse here.

(edited so the button in the screenshot is orange, blatant attempt at buy-in from others who thing the orange bezel is sooooo good)

7 Likes

1 Like

06f1b65533a74e7d1b7d1692e44064a9

Another version with debossed Framework logo. Files available on above Printables link.

8 Likes

Wow, okay. People are way more artistic than I am.

I am used to 3D printing, so this so this design is to accent the nut-and-bolt styling, more and longer flex points to help mobility and redundancy in case one breaks.

2 Likes

yes!
I heard about this from a LTT video and, yes, this is stupid, but they are correct

So we need a new design for the one-piece power button. Here’s mine.

I have done quite a amount of 3D printing that I honestly don’t want to touch Siemens NX for some time. (and no, not FreeCAD or any other CAD stuff)
Something that, well, is simutaneously lame but also not, is simply a slip of plastic that can be bent around.

You can even include your complete name on it. If that’s too big you can also just simply only include the logo.

I think it’s important for it to be asymmetric for maximum flexibility. And for longevity (and stability) you also cannot channel all the force (and flex) through narrow “beams” as well. Which is why we need length, so the entire piece can flex slightly up or down, repeatedly without plastic wear and tear. And this is also why I quite dislike the original design, although I have never tried it.

This is inspired by the Prusa (of our workshop; this picture is not the one at our workshops) actually.

The “cancel/reset” button on the front panel is done via an extremely long piece of plastic, which give it plenty of flex.

The button should be a sturdy stencil, cue that it’s a power button and ideally evolve from Framework’s logo. How about:

1 Like