Constantly thermally throttling beyond what it should

I’m having an issue on my 11th gen i5 laptop where it’s thermally throttling down to 200 MHz:

This first happened a few months ago, but after cooling down it was fine (happened on a Zoom call). I saw a thread about fixing it by updating the BIOS, so I did that and it seemed to help for a while, but now it’s been happening almost every day starting last week.

I have cleaned out the fan and it wasn’t dirty at all. I also repasted the thermal compound but it hasn’t made a difference yet. Could there be an issue with my board?

Could you record the temperature? Does the fan ramp up?

What’s the best way to see temperatures on Linux?

I’m on Xubuntu on a HP laptop (don’t yet have my framework laptop) and I install the “lm-sensors” package. Once installed the command “sudo sensors-detect” should be run and answer “yes” to all of the questions. Read them carefully as some give information/instructions as well.

Once the sensors-detect is complete and if you’ve followed the instructions to have the relevant module installed and started after the next boot you can then use the “sensors” command and with a bit of scripting to extract the system temps.
Edit: you may not have to reboot to activate the module if you read and follow the instructions carefully. It is easier to let the command add the module and then reboot. The installed module for sensors will ensure accurate readings from the sensors command.

My simple script for my cpu/system temp (on a hyper-threaded very old dual core cpu)…

#!/bin/bash

sensors | grep "Package id" | awk -F " " '{print $4," "}' | sed 's/^.\{1\}//' | sed 's/\.0//'

exit 0

Typical terminal output for that script here …

yetiman :~   $   gm-sensor-cpu
51°C

On my Xubuntu install I run that script every second for constant temp output in a “generic monitor” panel applet. See pic below for a snapshot of my temp monitors on my desktop. The second GPU temp is specific to nvidia graphics. You should be able to use the lm-sensors commands/scripting to extract and display the cpu/system temps.
temps-monitored-on xubuntu
The sensors command output also shows all core temps here as well as other hardware sensors output eg.

yetiman :~   $   sensors
BAT0-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
in0:          17.08 V  
curr1:         0.00 A  

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +58.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +58.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +57.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +53.0°C