Convinced BIOS 3.07 created some unexpected issues

I’m a DIY batch 5. I ran Windows 11 – 21H2 (22000.376) with driver bundle 10/29/21 on BIOS 3.06 for several weeks without issue. Mid December when the new driver bundles and BIOS 3.07 were released, I made the leap and upgraded all. Turned out to be the wrong choice for me. Plagued with BSODs for last 3 weeks. Tried different permeations of Windows 10/11, driver bundles, etc. Only thing I hadn’t tried was downgrade of BIOS. Left OS and drivers intact, downgraded BIOS back to 3.06 and BSODs immediately cleared up. Could be a fluke, but if you’re beating your head against the wall you might want to give it a try.

What were the BSOD error codes?

There were various Josh but off the top I recall ‘hypervisor_error’ and ‘Driver_IRQ…’ coming up frequently.

Are you using an SN850 SSD? If so, have you updated your SSD firmware: My system is rebooting to a “Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed” message

Mine has a Samsung 980 Pro in it with updated firmware.

I have been plagued with issues since getting my batch 5 framework. Windows 11 as well. Had stability for a week, then the 3.07 BIOS and driver bundle sent me back into frequent BSODs

Edit - Immediately after I finished submitting that post I had a BSOD. I am becoming beyond frustrated with my experience.

I get the frustration. I was on Windows 11 for a time as well, but moved back to Windows 10 after getting several failures to resume from hibernation and suspend.

Regarding the errors you are seeing, they sound certainly driver related, but whether it is the drivers or WIndows 11 is hard to say. Are you actively using Windows Hyper V?

Does Windows 11 always substantiate through hyper-v? That would be a significant security improvement, but I wonder if it is required? IE: if you disable Hyper-V would things improve. My guess is they would.

Could you share the first 10 digits of your serial (under the QR code in your expansion card bay). I would like to know what sku you have.

When you are getting the BSOD are you doing anything in particular such as playing audio/video, web surfing, etc?

2 Likes

FRANBYCPAA

I have not been able to associate the BSODs with any one thing I was doing on the machine. Given the hypervisor error, I thought maybe it was a VMware issue causing them so at one point when reimaging I only loaded Windows and the driver bundle to test the theory. It didn’t take long after that it still BSOD’d.

On Windows 10 the hypervisor (hyper-v) is not enabled by default. I’m not sure if this is still true with Windows 11, but since you are mentioning VMware products I assume you are using VMs in some capacity.

With VMware they say that they support hyper-v, but I have found it to be buggy. You either use VMWare’s virtualization hypervisor, or you use Windows (hyper-v). Using them both has always led to conflicts for me.

That said, unless you are trying to run WSL, there is no reason to use hyper-v if you already have a vmware license. I would highly recommend disabling hyper-v if this is your case. Even just to see if it solves your BSOD problem.

Yes, I’d agree with that. I’ve had hyperv both ways and I couldn’t discern an improvement one way or another. Just to clarify for the sake of this thread, I’ve seemed to resolve my issues simply by downgrading from BIOS 3.07 to 3.06, my system has stabilized with or without VMware/HyperV. It would seem a couple others are still experiencing issues based on comments.
It is worth noting also for those using VMware that an issue was recently identified with Workstation Pro 16.1.2 that is expected to be patched soon. Solved: Workstation 16.1.2 Pro, under Windows 11 host, Win… - VMware Technology Network VMTN