Cooler Master Case Screws

Received the case last weekend and it looks great (albeit is a fingerprint magnet). The installed case screws on my case were installed overtightened. I was able to get most of them out with a little extra elbow grease but the head on one of them stripped on the first rotation using the frame.work screwdriver. These screws seem less durable than the ones from frame.work. I was able to get it out with a HEX bit but it’s not going back in. I would be wary of opening and closing the case due to the screws. Perhaps this is something that can be addressed in a future revision or maybe I just received a bad batch of screws.

I appreciate you sharing your experience with the users here, but I would also recommend you send a message to Framework Support! They would probably be very interested in sending this feedback to the team at cooler master, and they may even be able to help you get a replacement screw!

1 Like

I also stripped two screws from the case. I have an open support ticket with Framework to try to get some replacement screws. This is the first time I stripped a torx screw while unscrewing.

Luckily I was able to remove it using a size larger T-6.

@fpreto Support told me that the screws were not supposed to be preinstalled and have since had to revise their guide for the case. They are still awaiting replacement screws for my open ticket but said it may be a bit since it is a 3rd party product.

I think the screws were overtightened, and potentially lesser quality. I’ve never stripped a screw with a manual screwdriver before.

I had the same problem with my recent purchase of a Cooler Master case. The bolts were preinstalled. Two of them partially stripped, but I was able to get them out with a T6 bit. One was completely stuck, I had to use a small bore screw extractor set to remove the last stuck bolt.

I contacted support about the problem, hoping for replacement bolts. They were not at all helpful. They wouldn’t even tell me the specs for good replacement bolts (thankfully I had some T5 M2 bolts on hand that fit).

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum…

That seems a bit off par for Framework, but as for specs for ‘good’ bolts, that is a problem. What would you define as ‘good’ that a manufacturer would agree with etc.

Take care, at least you managed the issue.

I was just hoping for detailed measurements, maybe a tip on where to buy ones that would fit the recessed bits of the case well. Bolts with a similar finish that more or less match the others would be nice. Bolts that don’t strip as easily, also nice. I ended up using one that seemed less likely to strip (harder metal), but the head doesn’t fill the recess as nicely. I’d say the finish doesn’t match, but I had to look around for five minutes to remember which one it was, so, fine?

1 Like