Dbrand Framework Skins Up

I can’t complain. The entire laptop is skinned for me. Even the touchpad is skinned. I just wish I was better at applying the skin so that it looks perfect :laughing:

3 Likes

Same as @GhostLegion. At least on the Matt white, I barely see any. Mine looks almost perfect, especially after using the hair dryer.

2 Likes

What do you think about the skin on the trackpad? I have the matte white applied to it and it works pretty well, but I think it affects the trackpad precision ever so slightly and therefore, I’m thinking about removing it there. :thinking:

I love it. It provides a nice color contrast of black on lilac and is slightly textured while preventing that awful shine that will undoubtedly develop on my keycaps as the machine ages (would it be proper to call it a patina :thinking:?) I like the feeling of that slight texture

Speaking of precision, I haven’t noticed any perceivable difference with and without the skin. However, when I first applied the skin to the laptop, I skipped the trackpad. But, there’s a marked depression created by the presence of the skin outside the trackpad and this makes the trackpad usage a tad bit annoying i.e. your skin rubs against the edges when you go in and out of the trackpad area. It’s like the Fingerprint scanner, but a bit more pronounced. That’s why I now use it with the Skin and it’s certainly a better experience. Perhaps you can try it with and without the skin?

1 Like

My first time doing dbrand and it was super easy. Only did the top, but thinking I may have to do the rest now!

5 Likes

How are people selecting an offset color for the trackpad and expansion cards? I can’t find the customizer view others have posted here on the dbrand website.

Heads up to anyone ordering quickly on the site, “essentials kit” = only skin for the top cover, “deluxe kit” includes bottom cover, expansion card, palm rest, and trackpad covers.

Dbrand eliminated it to reduce cost, yeah, I’m pissed about it too. Literally removes the custom in customization.

3 Likes

Perhaps Framework should dabble in coloring their aluminum panels?
Or maybe we could do it ourselves? Although electroplating is not for the faint of the heart and anodizing still requires careful painting.

1 Like

That sucks!! I get why they did it but i still don’t like it. I love having a ton of different colours on my devices and the pastel range really was amazing for that.

Rest in piece Dbrand customisation. :headstone: :rose:

I did the same and love it that way. I especially like the texture of the black skin.
I also ordered a mousepad skin (mostly to get free shipping) but took it off pretty quickly as I didn’t like the coarse structure there.
Adding other pieces like the bottom skin etc. looked too much like patchwork to me.

How hard would it be to create vector images tracing the surfaces we want covered precisely? I’ve never messed with anything like this before, but is that something Framework could release to make skinning easier? Seems like that would fit well with the philosophy of modularity.

I have a friend with a Cricut machine that can cut vinyl stickers, it should be straightforward to cut the correct shapes for most parts if we have accurate vector images. I have no clue how dbrand does the trackpad covers though, seems like it could be a challenge to find materials that don’t reduce the responsiveness

Everything they sell is a 3M material. If you are motivated enough to look through their entire catalog, I’m sure you’ll find the material dbrand uses.

2 Likes

ALERT ALERT

Damascus skins are back! Just purchased Warzone and will post pics when applied. I wish they would keep Damascus around all year because it is so sick.

1 Like

hey just wondering if you have pictures of your warzone framework? thanks!

@umbra sorry it took so long to get around to this. I had my wife take photos as we were driving somewhere so it’s on her lap.

4 Likes

Blockquote

no worries! thanks for the pics. i’m internally debating whether i want something eye-catching like the warzone skin or a more subdued matte black type skin.

i guess the more important question is how do you like the skin?

on a side note, you’re the only person on this forum or the subreddit who has a warzone framework :upside_down_face:

Really? Huh, you’d think it would be more popular…

Anyways, purely aesthetically, I love the skin. I think it’s eye catching as hell. I want people to notice me and my laptop, you can even see that I have the orange bezel too.

I’m annoyed that dBrand removed the configurator that allowed you to more customize the skins you buy. The Warzone Kit does not include palm rest or trackpad skins or even the option to buy them unless you buy an entirely separate kit that includes them.

But overall, do I like the skin? Sure I do, I’ve got some wear on the skin but you can’t even tell from the photos that it’s there, even if you can feel it when you run your hand over it.

3 Likes

It actually looks really good @GhostLegion! I am not a fan of the colors normally, but it does look good on the Framework. I have a matrix black on the bottom, nothing on the top as I replaced my lid with the heavier version and I like it without for now. It has a different look, the thicker heavier lid. BUT on the keyboard deck I have a neon green cover. I love it. My wife’s has the same on the inside, but on the top she has a neon yellow and the bottom is a pastel purple. Looks great on hers as well.

My only things of note with skins, particularly on the keyboard deck is that they can attract participles around the edges of the skin. Nothing major and you can clean them off. Just an observation.

Solo, the dog, approves. She has even licked it a few times, to test its durability.

3 Likes

I bought a top skin for mine to give it some visual interest. Application was very straightforward.

7 Likes