Display overclock (70Hz)

As the display isn’t the worlds greatest gaming display, I played around with CRU (see Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)) and added new display profiles, figuring out how far one can take the screen that comes with the 13" Framework. In my case, it’s a matte screen that came with my AMD FW. The display is a BOE0BCA.

I was having issues getting a picture to show up past 70Hz, with 72Hz being rather unstable. 75Hz and beyond I didn’t manage to get working at all.

However, 70Hz worked just fine and stable after bumping the back porch slightly (compared to the 60Hz profile). It isn’t a great choice for watching YouTube, movies and so on, as it doesn’t go well with the common 30 and 60fps content, but for games, it is a slight improvement.

Here is my profile, but it may not work for you screen:
70Hz

It doesn’t seem to change the overall pixel response, as for high contrast content there will still be about as much ghosting as before.

Here are two pictures taken at 1ms shutter speed of both 60Hz and 70Hz, both showing about the same pixel response:

Now all that is left is applying this profile on Linux…

Disclaimer: Using this may void your warranty nor am I or Framework to blame if you break stuff. Do this at your own risk!

2 Likes

Quote a lot harder, last I checked you needed to be under X11, and use xrandr.

I think people have gotten the display up to 72 Hz (which is far superior bc 24 FPS evenly divides into it) by tweaking the back porch! Good job though, I’m curious to see what long term damage there is to the display due to overclocking it.

I expect next to zero negative impact on the screen itself. I ran old desktop screens with a 20Hz overclock for years without any failure.

The biggest downside is probably battery life as it does drain the battery faster when there are 10 more frames to be rendered by the gpu each second…

As for “best refresh rate”: there is not one. It is best to switch to the right framerate of the content to avoid uneven frame times (stutter). Thus, depending on the content, multiple of 30 or 60 (TV) might be preferred over 24 (movie) or even 25/50 (european tv).

P.s. I will look into loading an edited EDID profile in Linux. Hopefully that does the trick, since xserver is going to be replaced by Wayland going forward anyway

Perhaps anecdotes are not the way to go with a well known averse affect. Monitor rated refresh rates are there for a reason! Luckily the screen is replaceable though :slight_smile:

I assume you mean refresh rate, in which case you want a number which is divisible by common media frame rates (why I stated 72 is far prreferable to 70)

Best of luck with the EDID!

Overwriting the EDID worked just fine. Just place it under /usr/lib/firmware (in my case /usr/lib/firmware/edid/Internal.bin) and assign it using the kernel parameter: drm.edid_firmware=eDP-1:edid/Internal.bin

1 Like