Looking for a specsheet on the screen before ordering

All I’ve found so far is:

• Glossy screen w/ anti-glare coating
  • 13.5"
  • 2256x1504
  • 100% sRGB color gamut
  • > 400 nit

Missing:
Panel type, Refresh rate, Response time, viewing angles, HDR, Contrast, and bezel size.

Literally the only thing stopping me from ordering one immediately.

2 Likes

We shared some more information in a blog post recently here: Framework | Framework Laptop Deep Dive: 3:2 Display and Customizable

It’s an IPS panel with 60Hz refresh and 30ms rise+fall time.

Viewing angles are specified as 170 degrees horizontal and vertical, though in practice you can see it all the way to edge-on.

Contrast is 1500:1.

3 Likes

Awesome! thank you for the quick update!

Any plans to have a higher refresh rate screen? Now that’s the only thing holding me back :stuck_out_tongue:

Why tho? There is no dedicated gpu inside and the screen resolution is not exactly small. This is not a gaming laptop and since it is no touch screen, 30ms response times are mighty fine. On top, on 13inch laptops it is even harder to notice higher refresh rates, than on larger ones.

Really, why would you want more. I could understand an OLED request maybe or for workstations with dedicated gpu, but going for more than 60hz on a productivity and mobility machine hurts more than it benefits it, imo. Don’t forget that they consume more energy as well.

I type 100-140 wpm (380-650 characters per minute, or ~5-10 per second) I like low latency, fast response. Makes the machine feel faster overall. 60hz or less is very noticeable to me.

And sure, it has the potential to reduce the battery life, but that’s something I can live with. It comes down to personal preferences for sure. Just like people asking for a matte display. Though if the anti-shine is anything like most of the modern laptop panels it’ll be perfectly fine outdoors.

I currently use a 21:9 3440x1440 1ms response 144hz display with integrated graphics on my primary workstation. 4-16 terminal windows +/- a VScode window per virtual display~(9virtual displays) and however many browser windows. All of this auto-sorted, sized, etc by a tiling window manager through popOS. Runs fine lol.

One comparison from my 2017 Razer Blade Stealth: LQ133Z1JW26 Specification & Datasheets - Panelook.com, the framework manages to pack a better-contrast better for 13" res AND 3:2 screen for an incredible price. Any laptop I’m looking at in the next year or two is competing against VR headsets now, same reason I’m hesitant for new monitors.

5 Likes

Maybe in future having a 90ish Hz panel upgrade/option would be nice, especially with more phones moving towards 90Hz. Even just in everyday use its nice to have some more refresh rate, and the Xe graphics should be able to handle it outside of gaming.

3 Likes

I agree, using a WQHD 144Hz IPS panel, it’s not only nice for gaming. Everything just feels snappier. Going from 60 to 90Hz would be nice, i guess it might be diminishing returns beyond that?

@alto based on the info given, I’m 99% sure this is the panel BOE NE135FBM-N41 Overview - Panelook.com

3 Likes

I have good reasons without the need of mentioning gaming at all. I think 120 Hz should be something to aim for. We’ve been handicapped far too long with 60 Hz.

1. Overall fluidity of the system. Personally I have both 240 Hz and 144 Hz monitors and you do notice the difference between 240 Hz and 144 Hz despite whatever anyone will say (although some people might not notice it, perhaps from a lack of care). It makes everything so much smoother.

2. Content watching. Just upping to 72 Hz would help. 24 * 3 = 72. Watching movies (which are 24 Hz) at 60 Hz just isn’t a good experience.

96 Hz is the next jump. 24 * 4 = 96 and 48 * 2 = 96.

Problem, though, is that both 72 and 96 Hz isn’t good for 60 Hz content.

So then, the much better choice is 120 Hz. I don’t get why that’s not the default by now. 24, 48 and 60 goes perfect with 120.

Panel technology has surpassed this standard a decade ago. Not talking strictly TN here. While high refresh rate is new in IPS for monitors we’ve had IPS panels in TVs for a long time doing high refresh rates…

We have this silly 24 Hz cap on movies and TV shows and 60 Hz simply isn’t suited for it (try dividing 60 by 24 and then work out in your brain how to perfectly fit 24 frames into 60 refreshes. The result is bound to be stuttering.).

1. Let me mention gaming anyway. Why do you need a super expensive gaming machine to game? You don’t. I’d be thrilled to play platformers and old games on this machine and it would be powerful enough to run a lot of games at full settings and above 120 FPS.

Why does products either have to be totally non-suitable for gaming or just made for gaming and non-suitable for everything else? I’m always so frustrated about this marketing and product segregation where you have to choose between unecessary and arbitrary compromises. I like games, but gaming isn’t everything I do. I also don’t exclusively play demanding titles (those are likely played on my desktop anyway). Why can’t products be good at more than one or a few things? Especially when there’s no good reason to limit the potential.

3 Likes

I’ve always hated the way scrolling at 60Hz makes everything blurry. I find it a bit sickening. Once you’ve experienced scrolling at 120Hz (or ideally 200Hz) there’s no going back. Your eyes can easily stay “locked on” to the content you’re scrolling.
I’m thinking about switching away from my beloved Thinkpad W541 to gaming laptop purely to get a high-refresh-rate screen (not actually interested in gaming on my laptop).
Alas a Framework is not an option for me at the moment. Hopefully some day.

1 Like