Display started showing pixel errors

hello all,

my AMD Framework 13 started showing pixel errors from one sec to the next - please see the photos.

rebooting / power cycling doesn’t solve it.
it already shows up with POST / BIOS, so it’s not a software driver issue.

anyone seen this before? any suggestions?

edit: there was no mechanical stress, the laptop didn’t fall / nothing fell on it.

if you haven’t already, I would contact support

1 Like

i am still within the 1 year warranty period, so i did contact support.
they asked for photographs, which i sent them.

they concluded “that this issue is considered CID (customer-induced damage), due to the impact on the bottom side of the screen”, which i can’t confirm, and that they “cannot offer a replacement”.

i am thoroughly disappointed.

i loved the concept, that i’ll keep upgrading the mainboard in my laptop, but the display didn’t last through even the first mainboard - not even the 1st year. and it was not replaced under the limited warranty.

this is my second Framework 13 laptop - with the power issues, random reboots, and now this, in my experience this is still not consumer ready yet.

instead of my Framework 13 laptop with the broken display, i am writing this post from my 6.5 year old HP laptop - that seems to have been a much better choice with the 3 year next business day warranty (under that they did replace failed parts).

:(((

to me it seems to be a permanent hardware problem.

like i wrote, restarting / power cycling didn’t help. the problem is already showing in POST / BIOS setup, without any sw drivers.

thanks, though!

It looks like a crack in the display. That’s exactly what they look like. Is it possible you closed the display on something? Maybe had something laying on the laptop when you closed the display?

1 Like

@user36 As mentioned above, it also looks like in the centre of the screen so could have been just external pressure on the screen as the centre is at the weakest point of the frame edge.

I carry mine in a backpack, the screen faces into the other compartments, with loads of other stuff and have a dent in the display cover . The dent is to the back and left to one, luckily it seems not to have transferred to the screen

@BigT the computer has been sitting on the desk, with the display open. i’ve been trying to remember if there’s been any event recently that started / caused this, but nothing, in the past 3 weeks it’s been on the desk.

@amoun no dents.

i ordered a new display - also an external mainboard case, in case the display doesn’t last.

1 Like

That’s strange. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

It’s unfortunate that you’ve had a freak failure on your current display. But Framework uses standard laptop displays from a large manufacturer, so I don’t see any reason why it would be more or less prone to cracking than any other laptop display. You should be good.

You should be good.

right, i hope so. :slight_smile:

so I don’t see any reason why it would be more or less prone to cracking than any other laptop display

maybe the structure of the top cover?

for the exact same LCD panel, it makes a difference how much mechanical support the different top covers give. ours on the Framework 13 is definitely the thinnest of all the laptops i have ever used (10+) - it’s a design choice, and it’s very elegant, which i like, but we also might need to watch out for this.

standard laptop displays from a large manufacturer

and then even with the best cover design, you can always catch a bad batch of panels - have you seen the threads with the 2nd quarter of the display going dark? that might be just that.

1 Like