Diy fail. Operator error. Help?

I believe this is normal behavior. I had to enter the BIOS menu the first time I booted and change a few settings before it would acknowledge my boot media.

The first time I did that it said "no bootable media, I think. I went the the page and there was nothing to choose from there.

Yes, mine said that too. I had to disable secure boot, and there is an option related to booting from flash media as well in there.

1 Like

Is your keyboard working now?

If so, in the BIOS, set “New Boot Device Priority” to either First or Last, not Auto.

I believe Auto sets the first device detected as the only boot device and may stop looking once it finds your USB. First/Last looks for all of them and sets the first one it detected as first (or the last if Last was selected) but should list them all at least.

After this you should be able to see it in the F12 boot device menu.

Keyboard not working, at least not lighting up. There is no cursor and no response from the F keys.

The diagnostic LEDS were all green 1-12.

So priority one, get the keyboard working. Thanks for your help.

You should probably get in contact with Support:

It might be worth double-checking the keyboard is connected, but if I recall correctly the opportunity to trigger the BIOS menu is a brief window while booting.

Try to power off, then just keep hitting F2 while you boot up.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I need to get the 2 sided tape for the ribbon cable. That may get the keyboard working.

Is it not attached on the keyboard side, or the battery side? The battery side attachment is like a little latch you have to trap the ribbon inside.

Did it come detached while you had it open to put in the hardware? That ribbon is definitely tricky to deal with while it’s open.

1 Like

That is exactly the problem. I reseated the keyboard cable, no problem. The touchpad lock doesn’t seem to work and the touchpad has not worked since day one, so I’m not sure how that became inop. I have ordered 2 sided tape, so we will see…:slightly_smiling_face:

Keep in mind there is no touchpad support until you boot into the OS. This has the older style BIOS menu where you cannot use a mouse or touchpad, only keyboard navigation is supported. There is no mouse cursor or anything. The shell environment you cannot use the touchpad either. So you won’t be able to tell if if it working or not until you get into your OS!

1 Like

Thank you!! Very key info for a beginner like me.

Also take a closer look at your M.2 SSD:

Make sure it’s inserted all the way, with no contacts showing and the tab fitting flush in the notch.

I think that was my problem at the outset, but after reseating the SSD, my keyboard does not light up or function. The power button lights up. Leds are all green flashes. Caps key on the keyboard does not light up and no response to enter button or F keys.

I am back now 1 week later. I installed a new touchpad cable and added 3m tape. I re-did my USB with the OS. I now can see a black screen asking to choose from:
*Start linux mint,
*Start linux mint compatibility mode
*OEM install (manufacturer)
*Check integrity of medium
Unfortunately my keyboard, including arrow keys and F keys and enter keys do not light up or work.
Do I assume my keyboard is shorted out and order a new input cover kit?

I would go back through the steps to reattach the keyboard, starting here and try to make absolutely certain that everything is connected correctly before you throw in the towel. It might be good to disconnect the keyboard completely, and re-connect it to be able to handle the connections yourself and make sure everything is well-seated.

If the keyboard membrane was broken while moving stuff around, it is likely there would be visible damage; take some time to inspect it to see if you notice anything cracked or oddly bent. Of course there could be invisible damage as well, but it can’t hurt to closely examine the device.

I’m hoping maybe the connections just need a redo. If you have any friends/family handy with electronics, sometimes it helps to get a second pair of eyes on a problem like this.

1 Like

Thanks for your encouragement. Framework support came through for me in about 36 hours or less.
Yeah! I’m so excited. They decided to cover it under warranty, I guess. The part is in the mail.:heart::sunglasses: I can’t wait!

4 Likes

After contacting support, Framework sent me the part I needed. My system is running perfectly with Linux Mint Cinnamon Edge installed. Wifi and bluetooth 100%. I am beyond ecstatic. Thank you Support and Framework Community Helpers. I :heart: my Framework!

6 Likes