External monitor won't wake up when plugging laptop into dock

Hey all, I’m having some trouble finding other people around the web who have this issue, so I thought I’d reach out to the community here and see if anyone else is having this issue.

Whenever I plug my Framework in to my dock, a Caldigit USB Type-C SOHO dock, the external monitor won’t wake up. This also sometimes happens on my IO Gear USB Type-C Docking Station as well. The operating system recognizes that a monitor is plugged in and will rearrange/reorient the screens to the previously saved position, but the external monitor won’t turn on.

A temporary workaround that I’ve found is to set my screens to turn off after 1 minute of inactivity, let them fall asleep, and then wake them back up. It seems to me that plugging into a dock doesn’t send any sort of “wake up” signal.

This happens on both my work (i7-1165G7) and personal (i7-1135G7) devices, both running Fedora Workstation 36.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or does anyone have suggestions what I should look into to diagnose and resolve this?

Hey, are you still having this problem? if so: what Desktop Environment are you using? or are you using a stand alone window manager? I know KDE has a selection in the settings panel (its called “Save Displays’ properties” or something like that) but I don’t know about Gnome.

1 Like

Yes I’m still having this problem, though I’ve found an easier way to get around it (I just hit Super + L once connected to lock the screen, give it 5 seconds to turn off the screens, and then wake it back up.

I’m using Fedora Workstation 36, so Gnome. I don’t see any options similar to what you’re suggesting in my settings or Gnome Tweaks. Thank you for the suggestion though. I hope to dig into this more soon, but I just haven’t had time.